I Did It!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After months of hesitating I just bought a 15" Powerbook yesterday. I haven't opened it yet and can't wait to start testing it out when I get home from work today.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions let me know.

Also, does anyone know of any good over the shoulder/bicycle messenger style laptop backpacks that would be good to use for the Powerbook? Thanks for all the advice.

Chappy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    First, congratulations! Remember, it's okay to love with your computer; just don't be IN love with your computer.

Suggestions:

Run software update and bring everything up to the current version. There's bound to be several things that are available to be updated since the machine was manufactured.

Buy a good laptop lock. If you have to leave it anywhere someone might be willing to have sticky fingers, lock it down.

Make sure to set up the firewall on the machine to protect you while on the internet -- especially when accessing open wireless networks.

Immediately set up a secondary user account that has administrative priviledges and DON'T use it. Keep the login info handy just in case you need to troubleshoot the machine outside of your regular user account.

Those are a few. I'm sure I'll think of others later.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Be careful with the power cable. I've known tons of people who have broken theirs, and getting Apple to replace them, even under warranty, is hit or miss (mostly miss). Where it goes into the machine is pretty delicate, due to yanking it out, and sitting it on your lap, putting pressure on it. Pull it out by the plug rather than the cable, and watch how you sit it down - don't have it always bent while it's sitting there. You don't have to be paranoid, but just be careful with it.

Enjoy! Watch some DVDs on it!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks for the advice guys. You rule! Where can you get good laptop locks? Does Apple sell them or do you have to go through a third party?

I almost left early from work an hour early because our phones haven't been updated for daylight savings... and secretly I want to start testing out my new PB.

Also, what is the difference between a Junior Member and a Member? Is it the number of posts you've done... or does it have to do with subscribing/paying money to appleinsider.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    1) Get a crumpler bag - best protection

2) buy a spare battery - always a joy to know you still have power

3) enjoy it
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Junior members have less than 50 posts. They keep the bar low to keep membership up (flattery is the best policy).

Download Quicksilver. It makes my 15" PB fly.

Do an AI Forums search for some of the 3000 threads about essential freeware and shareware.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 7
    good list of bags and cases.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...case+powerbook

I just bought the new powerbook as well. I decided to go with a tom bihn brain cell as a case for the PB because the protection vs. price seems to be the best I have seen. I will probably buy either a chrome messenger bag or a timbuk2 because they are the only bags that have a waterproof liner and look half way decent.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    repair permissions after all that updating and installing!