Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.3

Comments

• Reply 61 of 142
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by aegisdesign

Actually, it's been like that for a while. Just not noticed it. It's because I'm running the Iridium theme.

cool. my Uno Unified theme seems to be doing fine with 10.4.3...... pure inteface bliss....... ahhhhh......

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27932
  • Reply 62 of 142
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sladuuch

I'm running an X800XT and I get the "PowerMac G5" background. I think your theory has just been PWNDZ0RZ! Still, it's a weird inconsistency...

I agree. I have a 9800 Pro and I get the G5 look.
  • Reply 63 of 142
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Permissions might be rarely wrong, but its a stupid thing on Apple's part to keep displaying those stupid "We're using sp4ecial permissions..." messages.

I agree that it is silly to output the notices, but the important thing is that a few items actually had permission changes.
  • Reply 64 of 142

¥ Slowed down my startup for at least four reboots. It's still not as fast to boot as before.

¥ MacJanitor, Onyx and Tiger Cache Cleaner no longer compatible.

¥ No noticeable improvments in speed anywhere.

Where's the Beef ?

DP 2.0 G5 with 2GB RAM
  • Reply 65 of 142
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

i have a theory that Core Image Accelerated GFX cards have the blue and non-CIAGFX have the PMG5 theme.

Why would Apple have that background - it looks shit! Anyway PowerPC architecture is definitely new.
  • Reply 66 of 142
    After installing 10.4.3, my system seems slightly more responsive overall. Spotlight searches are also faster, perhaps significantly.

I have not noticed any issues (installed the update yesterday).
  • Reply 67 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Why would Apple have that background - it looks shit! Anyway PowerPC architecture is definitely new.

Come on, do keep up at the back.
  • Reply 68 of 142
    domdndomdn Posts: 13member
    I just repaired my permissions. - there's a helluva lot to fix. I copied and pasted all the changes listed at the end in the Disk Utility interface. When dropped into a TextEdit document, it saves as a 9.3Mb file! And that's from the 56Mb download.
  • Reply 69 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Come on, do keep up at the back.

He had the Iridium theme running!
  • Reply 70 of 142
    btw, i just downloaded the standalone 97mb installer from apple.com/downloads. this way, i get my money's worth no measly 56mb update for me!!
  • Reply 71 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by domdn

I just repaired my permissions. - there's a helluva lot to fix. I copied and pasted all the changes listed at the end in the Disk Utility interface. When dropped into a TextEdit document, it saves as a 9.3Mb file! And that's from the 56Mb download.

My list wasn't even near that big...I didn't copy and paste the list I had but it wasn't more than 24k in size if I had to guess.
  • Reply 72 of 142
    maybe connecting to an FTP with the finder will actually work now
  • Reply 73 of 142
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Restart was very slow, 85 seconds use to be 50 seconds. My big 3, Photoshop, iPhoto and iMovie all work good.

reg
  • Reply 74 of 142
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Permissions might be rarely wrong, but its a stupid thing on Apple's part to keep displaying those stupid "We're using sp4ecial permissions..." messages. Who cares that they're using special permissions. It makes it sound like something keeps changing the permissions, and that they have to be continually repaired. I remember that people would say this in 10.3.x with some specific message, but I never knew for sure whether it was true, and if it was to be ignored, why does Apple insist on informing the user of pointless information. It'd be like having a big dialog on boot that says "You've successfully booted your computer"

Absolutely.

Disk utility to repair disk or to repair permissions shoud ony inform: repairs were performed in red or no repairs were necessary in green. And then perhaps a log button with more information in case repairs were performed and you want to know about it. Apple: why complicate things when they can be SO EASY!!!
  • Reply 75 of 142
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by tink

Ahhhh nothing like a wanker like myself working on a production machine. Restarted my dual 2Ghz G5 to clear out memory, etc and repaired permissions. Downloaded the 56 mb download while I cleaned my desk and let the installer have the whole computer to itself. The update installed and my computer restarted. Text input went wonky and my G5 went into a Kernel Panic in the first 30 seconds! WEEEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Hard shut down and straight home. I'll see if she starts up and plays nice tomorrow. Ahh the looming deadlines...

Got to love giving into temptation and loading a virgin OS update on a production machine before it's been vetted. \

ah.. the mac equivalent of

dancing with the devil

in the pale moonlight

with a six pack in one hand

serious drugs in the other..

Interesting analogy, but from what i read, it is more like Tiger SP2..

I installed, ran permision repair 2 times, rebooted, permittion repaired again and the (very long) fix list was identical every time. Other than that, the UI is WAY faster, faster than even our top of the line winXP video production rig here at work. Safari loads cold in one bounce (about 1 second) same with itunes and mail...word has stopped crashing, spotlight is insainly fast...

Essenially my mac mini UI is as fast under 10.4.3 as the UI on the top end PM at the Apple store under 10.4.2

With preformance boosts like that, maybe I am not outgrowing the mini as fast as I thought I was
  • Reply 76 of 142
    yes, excelente. maybe it's too early but i'll make the big call. this is Tiger - Production Edition. 10.4.3, ready for primetime. bring it. Tiger has truly arrived. One OS to rule them all, straddling a measly powerpc g3 all the way to a Quad g5 and of course, smatterings of Pentium Ms and Yonahs and Meroms and Conroes around the corner.... Just as AAPL is at an all-time high, and M$ struggles with Vistahorned still more than a year away. Be forewarned though, I've been using WinXP64bit for a while now, it is pretty solid. And it feels like i am operating at a level up from those poor souls on XP home/pro. Nontheless the breadth and depth of Tiger, from Aperture for pros to Lost and HD Trailers via iTunes, FrontRow, etc., is really quite stunning.... (although Yes, on the microkernel that may at times be bested by Linux-on-Opterons, and running the hardware-agnostic "universal code" that the iLord has asked of developers).
  • Reply 77 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

great update, BUT:

the update....

Disables Quartz 2D Extreme?Quartz 2D Extreme is not a supported feature in Tiger, and re-enabling it may lead to video redraw issues or kernel panics.

yeha, that' gross. really

btw, all of you that will try to apologize apple: i really don' t care your opinion.
  • Reply 78 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

What is the deal with that?!?!?! Maybe its because I had the 56MB version

grrr. Anyone else with this problem?!??!?!

me, on powermac g4. i have preferred to download the installer from apple site
  • Reply 79 of 142
    Has anyone noticed now in 10.4.3 the Get Info window now specifies the architecture of the program? For example Command-I on Safari shows Architecture: PowerPC beneath the usual information.
  • Reply 80 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

10.4.3 breaks Eyehome 1.6. Eyehome launches, runs about 30 secs then quits.

Yeah, my EyeTV is super unstable now. I just installed Tiger 10.4.3 and I'm running EyeTV 1.8.3 (the most recent version) on a dual 2.5ghz G5. Hopefully EyeTV releases an update soon! I've gotten the dark screen that says you must restart now by holding down the power button on the front of computer. When that message comes up, my G5 is in full on cool down mode with fans blazing. I'm afraid to let my EyeTV record shows while I'm away for fear this will happen when I'm not there to shut her down.