New Macs running 10.4.2, 10.4.3 due soon, more...

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    Apple has given us all the features we have paid for. This is an extra, and when it's ready, we'll get it too.



    i like tiger very much, but i remember thath apple promise me that feature (and resolution independent ui too), so i want it
  • Reply 62 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally posted by gelosilente

    [B]well, i have make the test with and without q2de:

    powerbook 1.33 radeon 9700 (64 mb) with \t 21.59 seconds

    without 19.34 seconds,



    Which test?

    I performed an Xbench once on a 1.8GHz iMac/Geforce5200 and I saw a little improvment in the quartz tests w/ Q2DX enabled. Moving a big photo in iPhoto with the hand tool (space-clic) was also far smoothier. I didn't see any difference in the overall system repsonsivness though.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally posted by french macuser

    Which test?

    I performed an Xbench once on a 1.8GHz iMac/Geforce5200 and I saw a little improvment in the quartz tests w/ Q2DX enabled. Moving a big photo in iPhoto with the hand tool (space-clic) was also far smoothier. I didn't see any difference in the overall system repsonsivness though.




    the javascript test posted above, sorry
  • Reply 64 of 78
    Thanks.

    This test reveals some bugs in Q2DX, however it doesn't really measure quartz' performance.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally posted by gelosilente

    i like tiger very much, but i remember thath apple promise me that feature (and resolution independent ui too), so i want it



    Resolution independence won't be a user level feature in tiger and I don't remember apple promising it either.

    You'll probably have to wait for leopard.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    pbpb Posts: 4,248member
    So, according to macosXrumors (not MOSR), the update will show up very soon. "So we may expect the update to Mac OS X 10.4.3 to arrive at any time from now" is their statement. However it looks like Apple did not address the Power Mac G5 single 1.8 GHz freezing issue.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by french macuser

    Resolution independence won't be a user level feature in tiger and I don't remember apple promising it either.

    You'll probably have to wait for leopard.




    They didn't promise it.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally posted by french macuser

    Thanks.

    This test reveals some bugs in Q2DX, however it doesn't really measure quartz' performance.




    Of course it measures performance.



    Switch it on and the scripts run a lot slower. Since the only thing you've done is switch on Q2DE then that is the cause of the slowdown.



    It also shows some odd 'trails' in moving the characters about the screen but that could be a WebKit bug rather than a Quartz bug, or even a script bug if they've assumed IE did it correctly.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aegisdesign

    Of course it measures performance.



    When I said "quartz' performance", (not performance only) I meant drawing stuff to the screen, because it's quatz' job. Javascript is something else.

    The slow down in java script (in some tests, not all) is indeed due to a bug in Q2DX, but it doesn't say anything about the impact of Q2DX on the UI speed.

    The quartz tests in Xbench do, so do the ones apple performed. See the results on arstechnica.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by french macuser

    Resolution independence won't be a user level feature in tiger and I don't remember apple promising it either.

    You'll probably have to wait for leopard.




    Regarding resolution independence; they stated at the conference that they have the infrastrcture setup in Tiger; its up to developers to start testing their software and kicking out any bugs that may cause issues with scaling their GUI - they showed an example of Safari and possibly scalability bugs that could be faced.



    It isn't about switchig to resolution independent interfaces NOW but getting developers ready so that everyone is ready for the move once it is require - it might not be until 1/2 through the next release of MacOS X that resolution independent interfaces become a must, but atleast if everyone is ready, there won't be any pains in the transfer.



    As for the performance woe, I think there are more things at stake than just performance issues; let Apple sort out the bugs; it isn't as though not having QE2D is causing major performance issues - for me, I've never seen MacOS X so fast; it is rocketing along on my G3 600Mhz iBook and fabulously great on my iMac G5; no complaints from this camper.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kaiwai

    for me, I've never seen MacOS X so fast; it is rocketing along on my G3 600Mhz iBook and fabulously great on my iMac G5



    QE2D on an iBook G3? So, it doesn't require more than 8MB VRAM?
  • Reply 72 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sjk

    QE2D on an iBook G3? So, it doesn't require more than 8MB VRAM?



    Actually, I think the G3 600 has 16MB of VRAM but yes, still not powerful enough to run Q2DE. It'll run Quartz Extreme unlike the 8MB 500Mhz G3 iBooks but not the newer Q2DE AFAIK.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    UPDATE 10.4.3 IS OUT !
  • Reply 74 of 78
    pbpb Posts: 4,248member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sjk

    QE2D on an iBook G3? So, it doesn't require more than 8MB VRAM?



    The problem is not as much the VRAM as is the programmability of the GPU. There were many graphics cards with 32 or 64 MB VRAM that are completely incapable to run QE2D because they are not programmable. Any GPU better than a Geforce 5200 FX or Radeon 9550 meets at least the minimum requierements for QE2D.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    Pretty sure it was a promised feature:



    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/
  • Reply 76 of 78
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Jeff Leigh

    Pretty sure it was a promised feature:



    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/




    QuartzExtreme != Quartz 2D Extreme



    I think.



    Quartz - in Mac OS X 10.0 - the window manager, etc



    Quartz Extreme - in Mac OS X 10.2 - used OpenGL for the display



    Quartz 2D Extreme moves the acceleration into more features. From http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/ (btw was anybody else disappointed by House of Flying Daggers?) you can see that Quartz encapsulates several things, one of which is Quartz 2D, which currently does things like UI widgets, canvases, etc. Q2DE will OpenGL accelerate these.



    Note that Longhorn's interface on DirectX also has Q2DE-like features as well as the QE style features.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    Yes, I was mistaken. Blame Apple for naming two things with such similar names and not really explaining what's going on. After re-reading the Ars Technica article a few times I understand the difference between the two.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Jeff Leigh

    Yes, I was mistaken. Blame Apple for naming two things with such similar names and not really explaining what's going on. After re-reading the Ars Technica article a few times I understand the difference between the two.



    It's not as bad as the way Canon named its two top digital cameras.



    1D



    1Ds



    One is the sports model. Guess which?
Sign In or Register to comment.