just got a deal on a dual 1.8 G5 powermac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i just got a deal on a dual 1.8 G5 powermac..should i do it?

demo(NEW) with warranty $1199......... i have been thinking about upgrading to the new dualcore macs,but the pci express stuff (nothing out there 6-8 weeks at least)and who knows how buggy it will be.... and the options look like an additional $2-$3000 to configure pci express properly,(with no knowledge of reliability) so i am thinking i can put in 4 gigs of ram and have a decent machine until 2nd run of quads are here and the pci express stuff gets sorted out or hold out until 2nd run of macintels are here,

dual 1.8 $1199 +ram use existing pci stuff or

dual 2.5 $2299 +ram use existing pci

dual 2,7 $2650 +ram use existing pci

Quad $3100 + ram but $2000-$3000 for pci express solution

besides the price differences .i am concerned w/reliability,,,,my system crawls now as it is ,will i have a big jump going to a dual 1.8? will a jump to the dual 2.7 be worth more than 2x the price?

i know the quad SHOULD be amazing but the new technology and 1st run and the cost has me nervous,what i don't want is to be a guineau pig for Apples test run for macintel and find its a buggy flawed obsolete product 12-18 months from now.......... any comments ,suggestions? thanks

_________________

Quicksilver dual 1 gig, 1.5 gig ram,10.39. DP4.52 ,

RME fireface,

tc powercore/pci, native inst,ew,ik synths/vi's, Vdrums, Akai Z8 ,XP30 , musical fid dac21,mf xcans, shunyata powercords and conditioners,richard gray....numerous harddrives (3 fw buss)

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    pci-x is already becoming outdated which is why the new powermacs are using pci-express. i bought a new dual-core 2.0 and it is a fabulous machine. i would suggest you research a little bit deeper. if i were you, i would NOT buy the dual 1.8.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    the dual 1.8G5 has problems with 10.4 doesnt it? some kind of power or sleep related hardware bug? Better do some more research first... If it is OK then say go for it, since you have the TC powercore for core audio hardware accel. the difference between the dual 1gig quicksilver and the G5 will be huge. Remember the TC PCI card will NOT go into the new dual core powermacs, they are PCI-Express only

    Edit It seems the issues with Tiger are with the single 1.8G5 so I say why not...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    A dual 1.8 for that cheap is indeed a bargain. My dual 2GHz is a monster, I cant imagine a 1.8 to be much slower. I say go for it if you cant put out for the quad!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hi i appreciate the responses,tekmoe:how are you approaching the pci express situation? i need 2nd fw buss , additional external hard drives(sata) as well as pci bus..............i feel like a stranger in a strange land,while the possibilities w.the quad look amazing ,no immediate solutions has me at a standstill......................
  • Reply 5 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,232member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Thereubster

    the dual 1.8G5 has problems with 10.4 doesnt it? some kind of power or sleep related hardware bug? Better do some more research first...



    Hm, it looks like the single 1.8 GHz G5 to me.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Check barefeats.com They have a listing of the "good" G5 macs to buy. They also recommend getting a dual, single core powermac over a single, dual core mac if you can get a good deal on it. The performance numbers aren't that much different.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    thanks for the info Spline-with pci express fogginess(the additional cost and no real world useage....and possible reliability issues) i am now leaning towards the dual 2.7)but the quads should be screaming!.................there was an article today saying macintel might be shipping sooner(January-mac mini-i books)with the power macs expected to follow late 2006 -early 2007.........i might be inclined to trick out the dual 2.7 and wait for 2nd generation macintels late 2007-2008,i don't want to overpay for an unproven beta(dualcore as well as pci express) and wait for the dust to settle,and the prices as well as the options to be more clear..............
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kgdrum

    and wait for 2nd generation macintels late 2007-2008,i don't want to overpay for an unproven beta(dualcore as well as pci express) and wait for the dust to settle,and the prices as well as the options to be more clear..............



    It's going to be a long time before there's a mac faster than a quad G5. I'm skeptical at best that the first generation of Intel PowerMacs will even compare to the Dual 2.7 G5. In that sense, it's a safe investment. It will also carry a high resale price for a long time, as it's the platform of choice for people developing industrial/embedded apps for the PPC. (which is still alive and well, especially considering the gaming industry)
Sign In or Register to comment.