Anyone received new iMac yet?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    Wife notified me that ours arrived. It's all I can do to stay through work today!

Tonight the fun begins.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Wife notified me that ours arrived. It's all I can do to stay through work today!

Tonight the fun begins.

We'll have to have video iChat evolution debates.
  • Reply 43 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

We'll have to have video iChat evolution debates.

Only if I can make funny faces and stick out my tongue!

• Reply 44 of 112
    Okay...let me just say this...

Wow!

It is absolutely lovely.
  • Reply 45 of 112
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Do you have 10.4.3 or 10.4.2? How are iTunes visuals (fps)?

Could you try Nanosaur 2 (it comes with the iMac) in the native resolution and report fps? Just hit F8 while playing.

Do you find the machine noisy under system stress? Although this is to some extent subjective, you could nevertheless tell us what do you think.

By the way, what are GBU, NB and ODD temperatures?

I don't know what any of those temperatures mean, or have any basis for comparison... all I know is that it doesn't feel hot, so that's got to be good. Does not seem to be very noisy to me, although the DVD drive itself does make quite a hum when it spins up. Otherwise its just a soft fan noise that I barely notice; quieter than my iBook.

I'm running 10.4.3, and just tried looking at some fps for you. iTunes visuals were running at 30, and Nanosaur 2 (for the few seconds I was able to keep the dinosaur in flight--I seriously suck at that type of game, and never play them) was fluctuating between the high 40s and low 70s, at full 1440x900 resolution. Again, I have no basis for comparison, but the picture was quite beautiful and fluid.

My understanding is that the human eye/brain really can't process anything faster than 30 fps, so as long as my ripped copies of Arrested Development look good on this thing, as well as my new iPod, I'm happy.

And, in case it wasn't clear:

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 46 of 112
    Complaint #1...Front Row does not (currently) appear to find shared stuff (iPhoto, iTunes). Seems an obvious thing. That sucks. Perhaps the next version will.
  • Reply 47 of 112
    So...

- It is fast.

- It is pretty much everything it is cracked up to be.

- It is fast.

- Front Row is way cool...(my previous complaint about Front Row notwithstanding)...Pulling up a QuickTime movie trailer on Front Row is "Da Bomb"...TiVO should be a little concerned...slap an IR receiver, TV out and Front Row on a Mac mini and the world gets real interesting real fast.

- It is fast.

- Photo Booth was fun for...40 seconds...kids love it of course.

- It is fast.

- Mine is quiet...definitely no complaints there.

- Did I mention? It is fast.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

I'm running 10.4.3, and just tried looking at some fps for you. iTunes visuals were running at 30

Strange. Back in 2003, the first 12" Powerbook with its anemic Geforce 420 go managed around 60fps in iTunes visuals under Jaguar. Some Mac OS X update (I don't remember if it was some point Jaguar update or Panther), brought this down to 30 fps. I have not since then heard about more than 30 fps in iTunes visuals.

So what does this means? Is Apple taking a safe approach to not overheat the system? And the difference between 30 and 60 fps is quite noticeable.

Quote:

And, in case it wasn't clear:

Hope that helps.

It's ok Reid, thanks for your input.
  • Reply 49 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Strange. Back in 2003, the first 12" Powerbook with its anemic Geforce 420 go managed around 60fps in iTunes visuals under Jaguar. Some Mac OS X update (I don't remember if it was some point Jaguar update or Panther), brought this down to 30 fps. I have not since then heard about more than 30 fps in iTunes visuals.

So what does this means? Is Apple taking a safe approach to not overheat the system? And the difference between 30 and 60 fps is quite noticeable.

It's ok Reid, thanks for your input.

no, there is an option to cap frame rate in itunes at 30. that's the problem
  • Reply 50 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by L'Angelo Misterioso

no, there is an option to cap frame rate in itunes at 30. that's the problem

Yeah, I had tried to check/uncheck this option and made no difference. Others too had reported that they cannot go past 30 fps, whatever the iTunes visuals settings. That's the reason I see Apple's hand therein, but I cannot figure out why.
  • Reply 51 of 112
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

CPU Temp: 62.8C

GPU Ambient: 71.5C

GBU Temp: 77.8C

HD Temp: 52.5C

Incoming Air Temp: 29.5C

NB Ambient: 58.6C

NB Temp: 80.2C

ODD Temp: 48.0C

that's pretty damn hot, I wonder if the HD stays like that after heavy usage.. if so that's better than the old models which were about 90°c
  • Reply 52 of 112
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Yeah, I had tried to check/uncheck this option and made no difference. Others too had reported that they cannot go past 30 fps, whatever the iTunes visuals settings. That's the reason I see Apple's hand therein, but I cannot figure out why.

yeah, that's weird. My mom's Rev A G4 iMac gets over 30 sometimes.
  • Reply 53 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

that's pretty damn hot, I wonder if the HD stays like that after heavy usage..

I have read some reports in Apple's boards that during heavy video editing for one-two hours, the HD temperature never exceeded 45 degrees Celcius. Of course that number depends also on the room temperature, so it would be more appropriate to report that one too.
  • Reply 54 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

that's pretty damn hot, I wonder if the HD stays like that after heavy usage.. if so that's better than the old models which were about 90°c

xlr8yourmac ran a piece a few days ago that had very detailed temperature testing. In short, the temperature problems have been fixed. Under load, the fans come on, and the drive actually cools down.
  • Reply 55 of 112
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Well, I'm running less of a load now and things are definitely cooler.

CPU Temp: 53.0

GPU Ambient: 49.5

GPU Temp: 77.0

HD Temp: 49.5

etc...

I also added a gig of RAM, and damned if everything doesn't seem faster to me. I can't find anywhere in the iTunes 6 preferences to disable a frame rate cap. Oh well, I can't remember the last time I actually turned those on for more than a few seconds, anyway.

I do have a couple of gripes with Front Row, too. I'm not very fond of the way it merges videos from the iTunes Library with those in the ~/Movies directory. (did I say that already?) I wish it would just show an extra menu item for iTunes Videos or something, and then sort them out using tags the same way it does for music. Ironically, all of the movies I have in iTunes also show up when browsing for Music, and they play when you choose them--but audio only!
  • Reply 56 of 112
    Quote:

I can't find anywhere in the iTunes 6 preferences to disable a frame rate cap. Oh well, I can't remember the last time I actually turned those on for more than a few seconds, anyway.

Open iTunes and run the visuals in window mode. You will then notice that the Burn Disc button (upper right corner) becomes Options. Click it and you will find the 30 fps cap therein. You can try the OpenGL option too (I don't remember if it is by default enabled or not).
  • Reply 57 of 112
    I'm pretty sure it's soldered but is anyone feeling adventurous? Can you crack open the iMac and see if the built in ram is in an actual slot or not?

I have a feeling it could just be an unaccessible slot, although based on apple's current trend it's most likely soldered on.

It sucks that it's so expensive to get 2GB of RAM now compared to a month ago on the previous models
  • Reply 58 of 112
    it is soldered onto the motherboard. and there is only one DDR2 ram slot.
  • Reply 59 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

it is soldered onto the motherboard. and there is only one DDR2 ram slot.

can you say how you confirmed this?

just curious since it seems everyone is just making that assumption but as of yet I haven't seena photo of it and the developer note hasn't been released yet.
  • Reply 60 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by L'Angelo Misterioso

can you say how you confirmed this?

just curious since it seems everyone is just making that assumption but as of yet I haven't seena photo of it and the developer note hasn't been released yet.

Kodawarisan posted some photos of the mobo a couple of weeks ago now. If you know your stuff, you can pick out the BGA SDRAM parts that are on the opposite side of the DIMM slot.