When is too much too much?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My 20" iMac was delivered today and I must reassure myself that I did the right thing. I bought a refurbished one, when a 17" wasn't available. Now that it has arrived, a 17" became available and is pretty stacked.

I get a sinking feeling that my 20" is too big and too much for me (not in price), but just in size. Maybe I should have some more self-confidence and say dammit, I deserve this beast! Maybe the jump was too big from a dinky PC laptop to this masterpiece.

Someone reassure me or someone say that maybe it is too much for me.

This must be the worst first post in this board's history.

Sorry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    There can never be too much screen area for a user to make use of. I'd kill to have a 20", especially for graphics apps that have a lot of palettes
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I used a 14" VAIO for a very long time. It was enough for me at the time, but eventually I wanted to move on. I got a 20" ACD and it was like: wow, wtf am I supposed to do with all this screen realestate?

But now I want a 30" ...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It happened to me too, don't worry about it. I went from a 15'' pc laptop screen to a 20" iMac. It took a while to get used to but now I can't go back, I love the screen realestate.

Actually now that I also need to buy a laptop for when I need to be mobile, I'm find it hard to move down to a smaller screen.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soriano

My 20" iMac was delivered today and I must reassure myself that I did the right thing. I bought a refurbished one, when a 17" wasn't available. Now that it has arrived, a 17" became available and is pretty stacked.

I get a sinking feeling that my 20" is too big and too much for me (not in price), but just in size. Maybe I should have some more self-confidence and say dammit, I deserve this beast! Maybe the jump was too big from a dinky PC laptop to this masterpiece.

Sorry.

Use it for a week and you'll never be able to go to a smaller display.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soriano

With a 20" monitor of this resolution and quality, not only you can work much more comfortably than ever, but you can also take a more healthy posture, reducing eye and general body strain. 20" is never too big, unless it is a laptop you have to carry around all day long.

Quote:

Sorry.

Don't be so sure .
  • Reply 6 of 13
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    Hey don't worry about this to much. Some people would love to have the problem you have. Enjoy the larger screen now, because you will want more as time goes on.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i think that most of us have buyers' remourse to some degree after dropping a big chunk of change on a new computer. i think you bought a lovely computer and you'll have and use it for years to come.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    I love my 20" iMac, you really get used to the space quickly now it is hard to use some really small screens.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Thanks for the reassurance. I have a dinky 14" screen at work and it is PC. I had to prop up the screen up on some books just a bit already.

Yeah, another thing I was worried about is having to maintain a large screen from here on out..oh well :P
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I was in the same boat as you when I bought my 20" display after using my 12" Powerbook for about 2 years before. I thought I could never use this much space. Of course now I'm looking for a second monitor for a dual set up. So there is never too much screen space.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I'm sort of in the same boat.

My wife originally thought that I was too large (ehem) for her to be worthy. But after time she grew to appreciated the extra real-estate and would never go back to a smaller device.

Size matters.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

I'm sort of in the same boat.

My wife originally thought that I was too large (ehem) for her to be worthy. But after time she grew to appreciated the extra real-estate and would never go back to a smaller device.

Size matters.

hahaha ROFL
  • Reply 13 of 13
    You always want as much screen space as possible! I have 3x 21" Dell Trinitrons hooked up to my AMD (My PMG4 died), and it's quite nice. eBays great, got each one for $130.