G4 466 anyone?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have this machine? Is there some ray of hope that the cpu can be upgraded someday? I found one in mint shape for $850. That sounds like a good deal and it could tide me over till G5 time. I'm on a beige G3 400 tower now w/512 MB's RAM, ATI Nexus 128 32 MB, FW/USB card, CDRW, IBM 75GXP(still OK!, knock on wood). Will I notice much benefit in X with the 466 over my present setup? The 466 has 256 MB's RAM(I'll upgrade it to at least 512) and a Rage 128 AGP card(I may upgrade that to a Radeon, Radeon 8500, etc. if I will benefit from it). Thanks for any input,

Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I've got one. It was an upgrade from a beige G3 266. I noticed a good speed improvement but it didn't blow me away. I don't have any altivec apps so I wouldn't see that advantage anyway. It runs OS X very well, but who am I to say since I think my iBook G3 600 runs OS X just fine. (X seems pretty slow on my iMac 400 at the office.) I don't know about possible cpu upgrades but have never thought they were worth messing with anyway. I'd say you'll be happy with the G4 466 as a step up. You'll get Firewire, USB, ADC (good or bad) and a CDRW drive in the process.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    It is a good mac to start on, because it has the Digital Audio motherboard that was the first to have 133mhz bus and ram, so it is significantly 'snappier' than previous models.

I have a 533, which is a similar machine, and it performs quite nicely. I think it will hold me for a g5 as well. I think the 466 should be just fine. I think the price you also have is a very good one. This is close to the 400mhz g4 market, simply because not to many people know or or remember the 466.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by iDave:

<strong>I've got one. It was an upgrade from a beige G3 266. I noticed a good speed improvement but it didn't blow me away. I don't have any altivec apps so I wouldn't see that advantage anyway. It runs OS X very well, but who am I to say since I think my iBook G3 600 runs OS X just fine. (X seems pretty slow on my iMac 400 at the office.) I don't know about possible cpu upgrades but have never thought they were worth messing with anyway. I'd say you'll be happy with the G4 466 as a step up. You'll get Firewire, USB, ADC (good or bad) and a CDRW drive in the process.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the reply,

Is it worth $850 though? I already have FW/USB, built in CDRW and I don't need ADC with my Sony F400 19". I'll get a LCD when I buy a new G5(if the have a discount deal like they have now) but I'm happy with the Sony for now.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Asahi, rereading your post, I see you already have the goodies I mentioned but built in USB is a big plus. Ever try to startup from a CD holding the C key on your USB keyboard with that USB/FW card? It doesn't work! That was a big reason I upgraded from my beige tower when I did.

Just another 2¢.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by AsahiToro:

<strong>

Is it worth $850 though?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it's a good deal. I saw somewhere recently that beige G3 towers are still worth close to $700. I bought my G4 466 last February for $1699.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I could be wrong but that price may be a little high. Take a look on eBay. I think you may be able to get a 533 or 667 for that price or maybe a 733 for a bit more.

again I'm not positive but look into it.,
  • Reply 7 of 13
    go for it cause you're going to be waiting a while for a G5. it's an easy decision. but the 466. i don't know about price, though.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Unless you really need a G4, I don't think you should do it. Since you've got a CD-RW. USB and Firewire there isn't much reason to upgrade except for the processor, and it isn't that much of a difference.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I personally would wait... For about 1,200 or so you can often find a 733.... (Refurbished of course) And it probably would have a pretty nice graphics card as well. You could also sell your current machine, as I am sure you would get a pretty deal on it. It just seems to me that a 466 would not be as big of a step up, and its life would be much shorter for you. Those are just a few of my thoughts. Good luck deciding!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dvddvd Posts: 45member
    yeah dont get a 466, when the time comes and u can't upgrade..it would suck..right now i'm hoping i can upgrade my 466./
  • Reply 11 of 13
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    the older 400 is 900+ so you're getting a good deal
  • Reply 12 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hi all. I used to be Aquatic. I haven't posted since AI went down. Now, I am registered as Aquatic but have to use this name. I zipped right by the new "we'll email you your password section" of registration! So my password was sent to [email protected]! :o Oh well, anyway...!

I just read about 733 mhz G4 upgrades for D.A. G4's, with your prospective 466 fitting the bill.

Try Megamacs.com here:

<a href="http://www.megamacs.com/v1/?cat=20003&action=view&pid=1088818"; target="_blank">http://www.megamacs.com/v1/?cat=20003&action=view&pid=1088818</a>;

Good luck! Does anyone here know if this 466 plus the upgrade would be a better deal than buying a 733 outright???

And... I got an iBook Combo 500 from Circuit City for $850, yay! If I want to install X.1 and 9.2, I'll have to use the software restore CDs and Updates they gave me, they didn't give me the full install CDs, grrrrrr. Anyone had success with 9.2.2??? I read bad things on Macfixit, and now my Blue & White G3's corrupting Preferences every second! An Apple genius suggested this was because of my jury-rigged System Folder (I copied it from a Dartmouth iMac ), and multiple versions of different System Extensions etc (like 9.1 on some, 9.2 on others). So will updating 10.0.3 and 9.1 -&gt; 9.2.2 and 10.1.3 on my iBook be kosher?? I also want to overclock it, that Macaddict article had me salivating... Any advice? ("I gots to!")

Happy macintoshing everyone
  • Reply 13 of 13
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Scott, if you're not interested in the G4 466, I am. email me if you like at [email protected]

Do you know if the person who owns the computer still has the box and all the original contents? Is it in perfect physical condition?.................