PowerBook to gain iSight, iBook to go widescreen in 2006

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Along with its transition to Intel processors, Apple Computer in the first half of next year will introduce new eye-catching industrial designs for both of its laptop offerings, AppleInsider has learned.

Although the Mac maker has only gone on record in saying that the first Intel-based Macintosh systems are due by the middle of 2006, information passed on by extremely reliable sources indicates that the company is on track to begin introducing its first Intel machines much sooner.

With the initiation of the Intel Power Mac project last month, all five of Apple's Intel Macintosh projects are now said to be underway and moving at an exhaustive, yet fruitful pace. It should come as no surprise that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is reportedly leading the charge, with his heart set on making 2006 the next 1984.

Without getting into specific dates at this time, sources familiar with Apple's Macintosh hardware roadmap say the company is striving to unveil a completely redesigned set of Intel iBook laptops just in time for next year's K-12 educational buying season, which takes place around April or May.

Apple currently offers iBooks with either a standard 12- or 14-inch screen, but looks poised to introduce a completely new model built around (what appears to be) a 13-inch widescreen. Whether the company will offer other iBook models or standardize around the new widescreen model remains unknown.

Expected to make its debut even earlier than the new iBooks will be Apple's first Intel-based PowerBook, sources added. The new 15-inch PowerBook will carry over many of the design elements and styles that have made its aluminum PowerBooks so successful, but will be about 20- to 25-percent thinner than today's model.

The 12-inch PowerBook is no longer on Apple's roadmap -- as reported in August -- and the new Intel-based 17-inch model is slated for release several months later.

Following a trend that began with Apple's new iMac desktops last month (and first predicted in this AppleInsider report), both the new 15- and 17-inch are scheduled to include a built-in iSight video camera. As is the case with the iMac, the cams will be centered in the PowerBook's upper display bezel. The latest version of Apple's Photo Booth application will also be included with the new PowerBooks.

As part of its transition to Intel processors, sources also recently told AppleInsider that Apple wants to be one of the first PC manufacturers out of the gate with Intel's upcoming dual-core processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 238
    That sounds awesome, but of course this announcement has to come about 4 hours after I gave in and bought a new powerbook, thinking updates would be well in the future. My ideal laptop would be a 13" widescreen, and I think it would be a very popular model.
  • Reply 2 of 238
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Sounds good to me.

Do I get WLAN support as well? Toss in Dual Core Yonahs and dual monitor capability and sold.
  • Reply 3 of 238
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    So the 12" will die?

Time to reopen that "professional sub-notebook petition".
  • Reply 4 of 238
    20-25% thinner?!?!?! Wow!

I truly wonder what could change about the form-factor much. I am beginning to wonder about the same for the iMac...keep making it thinner and reducing the bezel size. The computer disappears.

I am a little surprised that they would not release both the 17" and 15" models at the same time.

The line-up sounds interesting:

13" widescreen iBook - $1000 - $1500 (they probably need multiple configurations to fill out this price range...they NEED to keep a $999 consumer laptop)

15" widescreen PowerBook - $2000 (less?)

17" widescreen PowerBook - $2500 (less?)

Possibly super drives across the board.

• Reply 5 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

So the 12" will die?

Time to reopen that "professional sub-notebook petition".

Pro subnotebook sounds like an oxymoron.
  • Reply 6 of 238
    I don't regret buying my 12" superdrive 1.33Ghz G4 aluminum powerbook in February after studying the specs of the models that were introduced in January. (Wanted scrolling trackpad, got it anyway from Amazon for much less. $1,349 shipped sans tax.)

I moved from my 15" tibook and was concerned that the smaller size would be an issue. This is without a doubt the best powerbook Apple has produced. It's sturdy like a tank, full-featured and quite portable. The 15" and 17" powerbooks seem quite fragile, although full-featured and elegant.

However, this 12" is a great compromise, sitting right between those stripped down ultra notebooks and bulkier and more casual looking ibooks.

If reports are true that the 12" is dead (and nothing similar will replace) it will be a sad day.

I could have saved a few hundred dollars buy gettingn an ibook, which are a steal for the price, but it would have been a much less pleasurable experience compared to this pb. This 12" albook feels designed for the power user who happens to care for the metal look and compact size.

I've seen the number of powerboooks triple around Chicago coffee houses and 12" and 15" pbs.
  • Reply 7 of 238
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Damn, I bet someone on MacRumors my signature contents that Intel based PowerBooks would be later than the consumer systems, simply because a lot of Pro applications will perform poorly until they've been ported to x86.

Anyway, I take it that this means the first intel Powerbooks and iBooks will be based on Yonah? I hope they're both dual-core, the difference being clock speed ... the single core Yonah exists for ultra-thin laptops rather than consumer laptops.

Might be worth not buying the first ones - wait for Merom to come out with its 64-bit support.

In fact, I was hoping that Apple would skip entirely to 64-bit x86, and have the entire operating system running in 64-bit mode from the start. This dashes that, so we'll probably have a 32-bit x86 OS with 64-bit capability for a long time yet.

I hope the new iBook isn't too far ahead of my 12" iBook. I've only had it three months. Then again, it'll be 8 or 9 months old by then, so I'm sure I'll live, and I wouldn't want a revision A first generation Intel machine.
  • Reply 8 of 238
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Pro subnotebook sounds like an oxymoron.

Well, I think Apple is missing out on a very important market segment.

But then everything has to be big with you americans, doesn't it?

• Reply 9 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I am a little surprised that they would not release both the 17" and 15" models at the same time.

Chris,

It would probably be a better business decision to stagger the availability (maybe even the introduction, too) of products, especially in the same family. Apple is well aware of the lust that it creates with its products. In order to capitalize, why not release a higher margined product first?

Although size is an important consumer consideration, I wouldn't be surprised to see the premium products available sooner than the least expensive offering.
  • Reply 10 of 238
    I think it's 'bout time for Apple to develop a

19" Powerbook for Power Users.

Samsung makes a 19" widescreen. Toss in LED backlighting and a very thin but strong bezel and you have a kick arse desktop replacement
  • Reply 11 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

But then everything has to be big with you americans, doesn't it?

Well just *some* things are more pleasurable biggie-sized.

There are quite a few of us that enjoy smaller notebooks, however.
  • Reply 12 of 238
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Agreed. I was looking forward to replacing my aging PB 12" 867. How about a 10" widescreen? With the higher dot pitch of the newest PB displays, I can see 10" being 768 pixels tall. The 10" could be as wide as the current 12" but not as tall and deep when open, so the keyboard could remain standard size. Smaller screen means lower power consumption, which would mean lower weight and perhaps smaller, thinner battery. It'd be a killer subnotebook.
  • Reply 13 of 238
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I love my 12incher!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its perfect size for travelling!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 238
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I love my 12incher!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its perfect size for travelling!!!!

Like you have a 12incher!
  • Reply 15 of 238
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    hehe... nice post for it being your 666th

Who says I don't?

And I sure as hell don't want Apple to take it away!!!!!

• Reply 16 of 238
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    how much faster will dual yonah's be compared to the current 15inch pb ppc?
  • Reply 17 of 238
    I'm skeptical that Apple will have PowerBooks out even before iBooks. It does make sense given that just about any Pentium M chip would make the iBook faster than the PowerBook; even so, I don't know if Apple would really want to push things out the door so soon. I'd think Intel iBooks in April/May followed by PowerBooks in June/July, when in theory Apple could have Merom cores (generally more efficient than Yonah).
  • Reply 18 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

how much faster will dual yonah's be compared to the current 15inch pb ppc?

Much, much, better. For one thing, dual-core instantly gives it an edge, since it can handle multiple threads at once. Yonah itself is supposed to be quite power-efficient and fast. I can imagine there being 2+ GHz PowerBooks... if Apple doesn't just wait for Merom, that is.
  • Reply 19 of 238
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think it's 'bout time for Apple to develop a

19" Powerbook for Power Users.

Samsung makes a 19" widescreen. Toss in LED backlighting and a very thin but strong bezel and you have a kick arse desktop replacement

Uh huh, attach four legs and you have a kick arse desk replacement.
  • Reply 20 of 238
    I am under the impression that the Yonah PB introduced first will be for pro-sumers and I think 17" PBooks that come later maybe along other 15" PBs will be the true pro PBooks : dual-core AND 64 bits, based upon Merom, with new generation white LEDs backlight screens, Mac OS X and Windows "co-booting" thanks to Intel Virtualisation tech, Graphics with GDDR4 etc. Many new techs are said to come around Half 2006 so those pro books could benefit from them hence the latter introduction.

In guess an early 15" PB introduction should be to avoid losing customers. Since we are lacking detailed infos, Apple can well have created 3 columns in its product grid :

Code:

education / dirt cheap | consumer / prosumer | pros

Macmini & eMac | iMac / 1 X dualcore PM | dual-dual/quad and xServe

13" iBook | 15" PBook Yonah | 15, 17 (19?) PBooks Merom