Quad G5 & Blazing Fast Rendering...!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ALL comments in regards to the Luxology software is not by me, but by the head programmer/render guru, Allen Hastings...

Okay, I know I have posted this link in another thread, but I think it needs a fresh look here now...

Especially with the addition of screen captured video of the render in progress...!

And keep this in mind, even with the render going on, AND Grab running for the screen capture, this sucker is still REALLY fast!

So, link to the posts...

New Mac render tests

The bulk of the intial post:

Quote:

We had the opportunity to try one of the new quad G5s with modo 201 and I must say I was impressed with its speed. As an example, it rendered the global illumination test image shown above in 17 seconds flat. The scene includes 244,000 polygons with 8 sample antialiasing and 200 indirect rays. Brad's dual 2.5 G5 takes 38 seconds to render the same scene, so it looks like the new machines can render over twice as fast.

Here are some clips showing the renderer in action. The first shows that this was not pre-baked and the second reveals how well our rendering load balances.

modo 201 on quad G5

modo201 load balancing

Notice that the cores are CRANKING in the second video link...!

Also, check this link for more comments:

201 rendering on the Quad G5 (Movie included!)

But wait! There's more!

Extreme Displacement Test

Quote:

Well it's probably obvious by now that I haven't spent much time modeling lately. You've seen my renders consisting of primitive spheres, cylinders, and tori. Now I've taken this trend to the extreme -- a single polygon!

This scene consists simply of a big square polygon, a fractal noise displacement texture (using the bias and gain controls to make it more interesting), a slope-based color gradient, a little round area light for the sun, a touch of exponential fog, and three bounces of global illumination. About five million micropolygons were generated during rendering, which took four minutes and 59 seconds on my old Dell.

Two Polygon Landscape

Quote:

Here's a variation on my single polygon displacement test. I just added a second big square polygon, made it bumpy and reflective, and moved the light (from late afternoon to morning).

Remember, ALL comments in regards to the Luxology software is not by me, but by the head programmer/render guru, Allen Hastings...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    *whistle* that Quad Power Mac is looking cheaper and cheaper.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    (Off-topic junk deleted - JL)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

So sorry!

NOT!

STFU!

;^p
  • Reply 4 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think I'm going to buy Modo. Nothing so far has looked so nice to me: the interface of Shake, the customization and subdiv surface modeling of Maya, and the renderer of Electric Image.

As a student with a plus-3.0 GPA, it's $100.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think I'm going to buy Modo. Nothing so far has looked so nice to me: the interface of Shake, the customization and subdiv surface modeling of Maya, and the renderer of Electric Image.

As a student with a plus-3.0 GPA, it's $100.

HOLY SHIT.....where do I sign up?!?!?!?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    <SNIP>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

HOLY SHIT.....where do I sign up?!?!?!?

Here. Just need some educational proof, student ID or whatever.