Are all the mac minis for sure now upgraded?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been looking into getting a mac mini to tide me over until the switch and was wondering if I bought the highest end mac mini if I'd for sure get the 1.5ghz mini now.

I'm almost afraid to buy one because apple never properly announced and it's not on the site. I'm worried about getting the highest end one and coming home and finding out it's the old 1.42ghz one and have a "restocking fee" to switch it.

So I was just wondering if I got the highest end mini from the apple store if I'd for sure get the 1.5ghz one in the box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    They're not listed as upgraded on Apple.ca, so don't expect to get one in a store either...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

I've been looking into getting a mac mini to tide me over until the switch and was wondering if I bought the highest end mac mini if I'd for sure get the 1.5ghz mini now.

I'm almost afraid to buy one because apple never properly announced and it's not on the site. I'm worried about getting the highest end one and coming home and finding out it's the old 1.42ghz one and have a "restocking fee" to switch it.

So I was just wondering if I got the highest end mini from the apple store if I'd for sure get the 1.5ghz one in the box.

Call MacMall Business Sales. They will tell you which one you're getting upfront.

Dovetail
  • Reply 3 of 11
    this is somewhat terrible. looks like apple will ride the stealth mac mini upgrade strategy / scam all the way through to macworld sf 2006 -- where macintel minis/ macintel ibooks may be announced.... hmmm
  • Reply 4 of 11
    just got one for my sister..... its 1.5 alright

now HERS cost LESS than mine and is faster... i bought the 1.2 and added extras to make it up to what they are now ..extra ram wireless BT and HD

is 1.42 to 1.5 REALLY going to matter on a TIDE YOU OVER computer???!!!!??
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

is 1.42 to 1.5 REALLY going to matter on a TIDE YOU OVER computer???!!!!??

It's not just that- I think the bigger thing is the 64MB graphics card that actually supports quartz extreme- that's more important than 60MHz...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

It's not just that- I think the bigger thing is the 64MB graphics card that actually supports quartz extreme- that's more important than 60MHz...

Score one for reality!

The video card's a big freakin deal, and not just for gaming. I have a 9200PCI in my G5 and it stalls out on some DVDs. You NEED a good video card, even without games.

Besides, Apple's now using the video cards to run non-gaming-related tasks.. you really want to sell yourself short for that?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i'm trying to convince my cousin to get a mac mini for his parents, am i right that the 1.25ghz bumped model is:

1.33ghz

5400rpm

64mb ati 9550 ?? i thought it is still a 9200
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Score one for reality!

The video card's a big freakin deal, and not just for gaming. I have a 9200PCI in my G5 and it stalls out on some DVDs. You NEED a good video card, even without games.

Besides, Apple's now using the video cards to run non-gaming-related tasks.. you really want to sell yourself short for that?

thats funny, my 1.2 plays DVD and does 'non-gaming-related tasks' without question
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

You have something else going on. Playing a DVD is bug-on-a-windshield easy for a G5.

My Beige G3 (333Mhz) plays DVD's in some ways better than my G5 only because it has a 100% hardware decoder. (DVD's take like no processor power) My 400Mhz Pismo laptop has a software decoder and plays DVD's just fine but uses more processor power. The graphics card is a ATI Rage Mobility 128 with 8MB RAM.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Damit! </cartman>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

All GPUs used by Apple today support Quartz Extreme. The minimum requirements are a Geforce2 MX or later, or any AGP ATI Radeon GPU, with at least 16 MB VRAM.