Mighty Mouse SQUEAKING!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey Guys,

First post here. Been a lurker for a while, and I'm a new mac user, since September.

Anybody have a solution for elimnating the squeaks coming from the Mighty Mouse every time a button is pressed? I tried shifting the bottom forward a bit till I hear a click, and the squeak went away. Then the next day, it came back and my temp solution didn't work anymore.

I'm using a Microsoft mouse at work right now, and the quality of it is a lot better than that of the Mighty Mouse.

If I can't find a solution, I'm just going to chuck it, the creaking and squeaking is really starting to piss me off.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    My mouse did exactly the same thing... the first few weeks, then it was gone.

If you spend enough time with her it will go away soon enough...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You sure it's not the audio feedback? Look in the System Prefs panel.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    There is no speaker in my mouse. It's a simple pivot/click type mouse, just like the pro mouse but with touch sensors and a nipple.

I wedged a paperclip in it tonight, and managed to pry around the bottom (where the laser is), and I heard a snap. Now it's not making the noise. But I don't feel like it's going to last long.

I've searched on the net, and tons of people have this problem.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Give it some cheese.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wolber

There is no speaker in my mouse.

That number 3? It's a speaker.

What if you unplug it? If it's the speaker, it shouldn't make the noise unless it's plugged into the computer.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

That number 3? It's a speaker.

What if you unplug it? If it's the speaker, it shouldn't make the noise unless it's plugged into the computer.

I see what you're saying now. I was thinking about the sound that the mouse makes when you left/right click. That's just a physical button. The speaker is for the scroll ball.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    joe ojoe o Posts: 32member
    Hello,

I had the same problem with my brand new iMac's Mighty Mouse. After searching on Apple's own forums, I found a pretty easy fix. Turn your mouse over and cradle it in the palm of your hand. With your thumb, pretty down on the serial number down at the bottom end of the mouse. You will hear a pop or something click in place. I did this with my mouse after about three days of owning it, and it has been fine since (about, what, 2-3 weeks now?) This is definitely a design (or manufacturing) flaw that needs the attention of Apple QA immediately!

Good Luck,

Joe
  • Reply 8 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joe O

Hello,

I had the same problem with my brand new iMac's Mighty Mouse. After searching on Apple's own forums, I found a pretty easy fix. Turn your mouse over and cradle it in the palm of your hand. With your thumb, pretty down on the serial number down at the bottom end of the mouse. You will hear a pop or something click in place. I did this with my mouse after about three days of owning it, and it has been fine since (about, what, 2-3 weeks now?)

Interesting... hadn't heard anything like that before. Either way, I'm still waiting for the wireless model.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Had the same problem w/ my MM.

Solution? Click the mouse A LOT! It eventually went away, but was annoying when I first got it.

Yeah- I think something needed to be snapped into place better or something.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I've pushed on the serial number several times now. Squeak goes away for a short time and then comes back. It's a flaw.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Had the squeak too, for a period (maddening!). Pressing firmly down on the bottom of the mouse for few seconds did the trick for me. Came back once or twice on occasion but pressed firmly, and it settled down. Hasn't squeaked in a while now.

If you can't get to stop, by all means return it. It shouldn't squeak.