WHat type of optical drives do iBook G4 accept

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My iBook is nearing its end if I don´t do something proactive very soon.

There is a copy of Time Bandits stuck in the optical drive. I do like the film but it wouldnt hurt to have the freedom of choice what to watch on it.

But lately my HD has begun making strange noices and sometimes it simply can´t be seen on start up and thats even worse for my productivity that the stuck DVD.

So my plan is to replace the optical drive and see if the HD and its contents can be saved. And if not replace that as well.

But I don´t know what type of optical drives my computer accepts and you just can´t buy an "optical drive for an iBook" anywhere here i Denmark (perhaps from Apple but then I could just buy a new iBook instead). So if anyone have part numbers for some combodrives or superdrives then i will kiss you.

I could try with a external drive first and see if I could save the HD. Can I boot from all external optical drives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Not a clue anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    i think you can boot from FireWire optical drives (LaCie) but OWC has iBook drives, they aren't too easy to put it though.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    http://www.applemacparts.com/iBook.php

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/White-...p-1-c-420.html

I just quickly search google and found these- I'm sure there are more.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Is the optical drive broken, or is there just a stuck disk?

Is there an eject hole that you can stick a paper clip into?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Is the optical drive broken, or is there just a stuck disk?

The disk is stuck but unable to get out. When I eject it the drive tries very hard to get it out but it fails.

It all started with a very ripe mango in the bottom of my bag and the fact that it was in the trunk of my parents car for over a week together with the iBook...