'iPhone' Mock-Up

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Agree with you about all the crappy unnecessary features: the purpose of a camera to take photos with cellphones is indeed pretty ridiculous.

Opinions differ on this one though...

Although I personally don't really use my cellphone camera yet (resolution too low and no bluetooth on my computer, so can't transfer my pics), I would if picture size goes up to 2 MP, and I already have quite some (non-geek) friends who use theirs quite often.

It does not replace or come near a dedicated camera, but often can come in handy on those occasions you didn't bring a camera but wished you had..

edit: Oh and I can vividly remember some years ago when many people (including me) considered cellphones themselves to be a "crappy unnecessary feature"......
  • Reply 22 of 118
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Agree with you about all the crappy unnecessary features: the purpose of a camera to take photos with cellphones is indeed pretty ridiculous.

I have up until recently been a phone purist but cameraes are actually handy now they have moved into the megapixel era. Let me give you a few examples where they come in handy:

I know that many truck drivers are equipped with them now. If anything happens to the load or the truck they can document it for their office via the phone and MMS or the email client. It takes less than a minute to do so. I worked for a telcom up until recently and our largest customer in the transport business made it a condition to stay with us that we delivered them 2 mpixel phones for that purpose exactly.

Another VERY useful purpose is for documenting crimes. For instance: We had an incident between some football fans and the police at a game. THe police is now investigated for use of excessive force based on pictures and video made by mobile phones.

They may not be useful as a replacement for holiday pictures or the like. But cameraes have many other purposes, especially when they are not another item you have to carry...
  • Reply 23 of 118
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I guess if Apple were to make an iPhone with a camera, they should make the most innovative cell phone camera on the market.

Liquid Lens

3+ megapixel

Advanced image processing so pics are not grainy, muddy, full of jpeg artifacts, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 118
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Is it really so bad in US?

The problem isn't the phones so much as the carriers. For example, Verizon Wireless disabling Bluetooth features on the phones so they can rip people off for ringtones. And no matter how people try to make excuses for phones locked to carriers, whitewashing poop doesn't make it smell any better.

The regulatory environment in the US is terrible because the FCC isn't doing its job, and the carriers get away with whatever they want. The greedy, arrogant RBOCs deserve a big round of being kicked in the teeth.
  • Reply 25 of 118
    There are three things that I think are really important with a cellphone. Solid

construction that isn't shoddy, great reception, & long battery life.

If Apple can make an iPod phone like that, I'll be first in line to pick one up.
  • Reply 26 of 118
    What's the point of a 3 MP camera without a flash?
  • Reply 27 of 118
    Look at this new LG ultraslim slider phone: LG-KV5900

Sold under the LG KTF Cyon range, only in Korea as for now

Specific features: 512MB integrated memory, MP3/WMA/OGG player, a CMOS cam (exact resolution unknown). And 15mm (0.6") thick.

It feels like some cross between a mobile phone, an Olympus m:robe MR-100 and a black iPod nano... I think its glossy black, slim and simple design, and the undercover screen, are gorgeous and very Apple. Just add a clickwheel on top and it would be the perfect iPhone!

A lot of photos here:

http://review.cetizen.com/lg-kv5900/

Also spoted at Engadget and Gizmodo

And the official page

Does somebody here speak Korean?
  • Reply 28 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

Here is my idea for the iPod phone. Nano size except that it's an extra inch

taller & a couple millimeters thicker. iPod on front, cellphone on back with

lazer etched buttons like the motorola razor. No camera. If you want pics on

it you can upload pics from iPhoto. There is so much crap on my cell that I

never use now.

Simplicity in design.

ps. The game Time Pilot would be perfect to control with the scroll wheel.

a GREAT work of art that!! I'd buy one in a shot!

LOVE IT!!

Rod
  • Reply 29 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

a GREAT work of art that!! I'd buy one in a shot!

LOVE IT!!

Rod

Thanks for the props.

• Reply 30 of 118
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

Here is my idea for the iPod phone. Nano size except that it's an extra inch

taller & a couple millimeters thicker...

Care to take a crack at that Nano-based design in a slider model? I'm envisioning something approximately the size of two Nanos stacked on top of one another, and would in fact look exactly like the Nano when closed. It would require just one LCD and still be about as thin as a RAZR.

I'd try it myself, just don't have your mad photoshop skills.
  • Reply 31 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Care to take a crack at that Nano-based design in a slider model? I'm envisioning something approximately the size of two Nanos stacked on top of one another, and would in fact look exactly like the Nano when closed. It would require just one LCD and still be about as thin as a RAZR.

I'd try it myself, just don't have your mad photoshop skills.

It may take me some time. I'm currently swamped with Thanksgiving &

Christmas pics at work. Did you want the white polycarbonate on the front &

back or did you want the metallic back?

I just had a little thought with the slider version. The back half of the slider can

be all battery. The front half can replace the smaller battery with the cellphone

tech.
  • Reply 32 of 118
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Okay, here's a quick and dirty mockup of what I was trying to say... emphasis on the dirty.

• Reply 33 of 118
    Please not the RAZR keypad. I can't stand the feel or look of it - the physical 'feedback' from pressing the keys is poor, as is the feel for the buttons as you move your thumb over it since they're not raised. However the slide design is probably the way to go, although I've always bee a flip fan.
  • Reply 34 of 118
    nice (dirty) mockup

imagine Steve's Keynote of the iSlider..

he holds a fatter-than-normal looking ipod nano up,

.."well first thing we did for the new ipod was put a better scratch resistant coating on it...

yeah..who carries keys anyways??...

and we increased the storage to 8 GB....baterrey life is up 50%....

and this geat new entry will only cost.....$350"

-the crowd kinda does the "WTF??"

Steve sets the ipod on the table and waits for effect...

the ipod lights up and magically starts playing some catchy song with lyrics like "times are a ringing" or "ding dong the brick is gone" and Steve says

"Oh I guess there's one more thing..." and slides the iPod/phone open, and answers Maddona's (or whoever's) call....

Next quarter iPod sales start to look like cell phone sales #s.....Moto sues....Apple Laughs...B. Gates moves to Philanthropy fulltime....
  • Reply 35 of 118
    yeah but it's a UI nightmare especially for selecting numbers. I could never imagine trying to drunk dial somebody... Think of how hard it would be to call somebody drunk.

Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

Actually the scroll wheel is a great idea - most of the time when people make phone calls it isn't by dialing the number out it's by going into your contacts and finding a number. Also people love the scroll/click wheel. I think it's a really great idea, I would buy one - in black of course.

• Reply 36 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by waytogobuddy

nice (dirty) mockup

imagine Steve's Keynote of the iSlider..

he holds a fatter-than-normal looking ipod nano up,

.."well first thing we did for the new ipod was put a better scratch resistant coating on it...

yeah..who carries keys anyways??...

and we increased the storage to 8 GB....baterrey life is up 50%....

and this geat new entry will only cost.....$350"

-the crowd kinda does the "WTF??"

Steve sets the ipod on the table and waits for effect...

the ipod lights up and magically starts playing some catchy song with lyrics like "times are a ringing" or "ding dong the brick is gone" and Steve says

"Oh I guess there's one more thing..." and slides the iPod/phone open, and answers Maddona's (or whoever's) call....

Next quarter iPod sales start to look like cell phone sales #s.....Moto sues....Apple Laughs...B. Gates moves to Philanthropy fulltime....

Nice prediction of Steve's keynote
  • Reply 37 of 118
    Would Apple really make a phone themseleves? What is the advantage of becoming a phone manufacturer for Apple?

While I do like the Nano that slides open to be a phone, creating a phone isn't just a cool piece of hardware with iTunes on it... you have to get a carrier to support it (most phones are subsidize by the carriers so they have to think it will sell). I doubt Cingular is jumping up and down to get an iPhone with the ROKR's dismal results. Plus Cingular and the other networks want to make money off music purchases and downloads... Apple hasn't seemed willing to share this revenue stream with them, so there is no incentive for the cell carriers to play nice with our friends in Cupertino.

Apple like to control the whole experience and by creating an iPhone they will be losing part of the control (the phone part itself)....

From a cool MP3 player / phone... it's great. But from a business standpoint... it's a hard sell.
  • Reply 38 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmike

Would Apple really make a phone themseleves? What is the advantage of becoming a phone manufacturer for Apple?

equally at one point im sure someone said "whats the advantage ofbecoming an MP3 player manufacturer for Apple?"

personally i cant see them doing it, but BOY would i like to be wrong on that point.

also re cingular (the WORST name ever??) dont forget theres a bigger market out there than america...its called the rest of the world... im sure apple would sell more than enough handsets (should it bring to market a phone) in the rest of the world.

as i said before RE the Nano phones (more so the sliding ones)

I'd Buy one
  • Reply 39 of 118
    volume slider?

that is the single most un-apple like and unnecessary thing in the mockup.

otherwise i think it shows some clever thinking regardless of whether or not using it would be an elegant experience.
  • Reply 40 of 118
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    I'm digging the nano slider. I'll be first inline

***about the bluetooth...sprint does the same thing. The sprint reps looked at me like I was crazy when I wanted to sync my phonebook.