Affordable External HD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well I know there are probably related threads on this but humor me... i've got the ibook g4 with tiger on it (its the g4 that came with panther but i upgraded software) ... i want to get an external hdd that uses firewire to put all my software that i like having but dont use every day ... like games, ringtones and my ringtone software for my nextel. Can anyone suggest a good external HDD that wont break the bank? thank so much guys.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Everyone has their own preference, I've got 3 Lacie FA Porsche drives (2 desk and one portable) and am a big fan. They are cheap, make very little noise and are one of the smallest form factors. Looks wise they are not bad either.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I have an Acomdata E5 series Firewire HD that works well, I have my iphoto library on it and do not notice any lag when I am using iphoto.

http://acomdata.com/hdp/fs.html

They go on sale quite frequently at stores here. One note is that their hardrives that have one-touch backup (button on hard drive that you press to do an automated backup) CANNOT act as a bootable hard drive (like installing or making a complete image of your existing HD so that you can boot from it). But their regular firewire hard drives are bootable. Strange but true.

In any case, I highly recommend that you get an external hard drive that is FANLESS, especially if your a quiet-freak like me. Most generic external hard drives will have fans that are loud and high pitched... like a minituarized airplane.... *shudder*
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks guys! i'm checking all of these out - any more will be welcome
  • Reply 5 of 6
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    I usually build my own. I buy an external case that has USB2.0 and Firewire and throw in a HD that I find gives me the best bang for the buck. You usually save a bit of money this way and have more control of hardware.

However, if you aren't really into that sort of hands on stuff, I found this on TigerDirect

Not bad for a 300GB drive. I don't know anything about it. Couldn't find any reviews either. But it seems like it will do for what you need.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lawrenceg

Everyone has their own preference, I've got 3 Lacie FA Porsche drives (2 desk and one portable) and am a big fan. They are cheap, make very little noise and are one of the smallest form factors. Looks wise they are not bad either.

I second this, I have an 80 GB desk model, and it is quite nice. They are also very easy to stack and daisy chain if you ever decide to expand. I got mine a year or two ago and I think it was about the best cost to function/storage ratio I found.