Next MS Office

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know anything about a new version of Office for Mac in the not to far future? Just curious.

I am really hoping that Entourage gets overhauled. I do NOT like it at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Check out this article: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/softwar...9220359,00.htm

Knowing MS they'll make it heavily reliant on ActiveX. That would be a shame. Otherwise it would be a great way to mave feature parity between the Mac and PC versions of Office, including Outlook/Entourage.

Oh well, we can dream.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I have a feeling that the MBU team at MS will be working very hard to bring Office (and VPC) to a level that can work on Mactels. If they can get that working there is no real need to enhancements to Office - that's a big enough task.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Check out this article: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/softwar...9220359,00.htm

Knowing MS they'll make it heavily reliant on ActiveX. That would be a shame. Otherwise it would be a great way to mave feature parity between the Mac and PC versions of Office, including Outlook/Entourage.

Oh well, we can dream.

Well, there is nothing wrong with ActiveX; ActiveX is merely a subset of COM, which is what Microsoft has been using for years on Mac, along with OLE.

ActiveX sucks because of crap implementation in the past, not necessarily the technology itself.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I'd rather have MS Money instead of a new version of Office.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    And/or Access. Because...dumbasses use it. Lots of dumbasses. In business. And even higher ed.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

And/or Access. Because...dumbasses use it. Lots of dumbasses. In business. And even higher ed.

Either that, or buy out 4th Dimension, which is a bloody nice database.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwai

Either that, or buy out 4th Dimension, which is a bloody nice database.

No, we don't want Microsoft getting its grubby paws on 4th Dimension. How long do you think it would remain a "bloody nice database" in the clutches of the Redmond Monopoly?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I want Access because I'll probably have to use it someday. Which sucks but that is life. And Money would be nice I s'pose. Add those to the Premium pack with VPC perhaps. All that, spiff up the other apps just a little bit, and make it Universal Binary, it'd be sweet.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

No, we don't want Microsoft getting its grubby paws on 4th Dimension. How long do you think it would remain a "bloody nice database" in the clutches of the Redmond Monopoly?

Well, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac is pretty damn good IMHO when compared to the Windows counterpart - with the latest update, it is alot more stable and reliable as well.