Question about backup

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi.

I have an issue, with the Backup software.

Why does it only add a new file, with the changes since the last backup? If you are constantly deleting large files, and replacing them, this causes your backups to add up to many many many gigabytes more than what you're actually backing up. Anyway around this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I was wondering the same thing. I have been unable to find a way to fix this problem, other than deleting the backup archives and starting a fresh backup.

this is annoying. i do see the added functionality of being able to backup from any of your older backups, but it would be nice to be able to turn this feature off.

my problem is that my external drive (used primarily for backup) is quickly getting full due to backup 3.0s new way of performing backups.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Cosmo,

I'm sorry you're experiencing the same issue. I guess, as you suggested, deleting the backups and starting over is the only real solution right now.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    The one thing that I would like to see in Backup is an incremental option. I was thinking it did that by default, but when I fired up Backup to backup my photos, which includes several gigs of RAW files, Backup told me that it would require 3 DVDs which was the same thing that it took when I backed it up a couple of weeks ago. I have only added a few files since that first backup.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Use SuperDuper. Apple doesn't seem to understand our backup needs as witnessed by 3 versions and still lame.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Use SuperDuper. Apple doesn't seem to understand our backup needs as witnessed by 3 versions and still lame.

SuperDuper does not work for me, because it is not designed to backup to CD or DVD. I also do not have a second volume, so it is basically useless.