iPod nano owners sue Apple over screen issues

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 207
    Quote:

Originally posted by VL-Tone

franksargent:

I made the scratch below the click-wheel, not on the screen.

After two days of using it without a case and traveling with it, there are some very small scratches here and there, but nothing more that I would have expected from glossy plastic.

Any plastic screen has to be glossy to be transparent, so unless a company uses glass to protect the surface of the screen, it will be susceptible to scratches.

Scratched mine in the same place! Scratches are still there. Totally agree with your last statement.

• Reply 202 of 207
    Quote:

Originally posted by franksargent

Scratched mine in the same place! Scratches are still there. Totally agree with your last statement (although even glass scratches (albeit much more difficultly than any plastic tha I'm aware of)).

• Reply 203 of 207
    I have had several cell phones that lived in my front pocket... with keys, pocket knife, etc. None of them have ever show as much scratching as my nano. I'm surprised that the nano didn't come with at least a sleeve like the 5G iPods do.

I'm paranoid to take my 5G anywhere until a decent case comes out.
  • Reply 204 of 207
    jleonjleon Posts: 22member
    A few of my observations here: 1) the fact that the Nano has a hi-res color screen makes people care much more about this screen than the ones on earlier ipods, and therefore people will be naturally more likely to notice small scratches on it, and also be far more likely to get upset over them.

2) Those talking about how their cell phone screens never scratch are probably not taking into account that many of these screens are inside very hard plactic shells that they wouldn't be happy having their iPod screens under. My cell (Moto V710) has two screens- one external and one internal to the clamshell- the external one never scratches because it is under a very think plactic which also lowers its overall clarity somewhat. The internal screen is not under this protection because the resolution is more important for this one (just like your iPod Nano screen).

3) I just spent $250 of my hard-earned money on a cool little gizmo with a nice screen, so why on earth would I jam it into my pocket without protecting it properly?
  • Reply 205 of 207
    The internal screen on my previous cell phone (Samsung e105) didn't scratch too badly. And my current cell phone has good clarity on the outer screen -- it only has one screen, as it's a slider, and there is very minor scuffing. It does get carried in my pocket, and it gets a lot of use and abuse.

My Invisible Shield should arrive today for my 5G, and I've ordered the Invisible Shield screen protector for the Nano. I use the iKeychain from a1qp.com for the Nano... So I've spent $250 for the Nano, $45 for a case, and $10 for a screen protector. Huzzah.

I don't carry my nano around with keys or anything. When I do transport it anywhere, it's in the iKeychain. But it's still scratched just from using it in a safe and sane manner.

I'm not saying a law suit is justified, but it's pretty ridiculous, in that Apple Way to bring this thing to market without any case options or including at least the sleeve that came with the 5G.

It would be nice to see someone other than armchair chemists chime in here with some educated information on the issue, rather than the speculations on why the plastic is soft.
  • Reply 206 of 207
    Check out my other post about the case I found:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=58672

I know it must seem like I'm a salesrep for ZCOVER or something, but it really is the perfect thing for the Nano. I also never removed the plastic coating on the top of the Nano either, so between that and the case I don't think I have to worry about scratches at all.
  • Reply 207 of 207
    Thanks Jleon. I did consider those at one point, but went with the iKeychain, as I wanted to be able to drop the nano in my computer case and go... something to keep the nano from being crushed. I might still do the zcover thing when I can justify more money for this -- well, it's a toy!

I'd like to see something like that out SOON for the 30GB iPod video.