Future Power for PowerBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Check out this battery technology.

Quote:

New lithuim ion battery utilizing nanoscale electrode technology, the battery lasts 10x as long, has 5X power gain, charges 90% capacity in five minutes.

Some interesting stuff there.

gc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    This coupled with more efficient cpu and chipsets could mean batteries that last upwards of 20 hrs.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Unfortunantly... you still won't be able to watch a that 3disc blu-ray set of lord of the rings complete with extras.. :-(

heheheh
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Unfortunantly... you still won't be able to watch a that 3disc blu-ray set of lord of the rings complete with extras.. :-(

heheheh

Why not? Just a wee bit of action with the FF key will do the trick. Expecially on all Tree Ent scenes. Boring!

:P
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yeah, combine this with LED backlight technology and yeah it would be cool to have 20 hours to a charge.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Yeah, combine this with LED backlight technology and yeah it would be cool to have 20 hours to a charge.

Is there any documentation that LED backlights will actually use less power? No doubt they have many other benefits (thinner, longer life). I question this because I saw a review that tested LEDs against fluorescent bulbs and found the fluorescent bulbs to be more efficient.

If you only consider the light emitted into the narrow angle emitted by the LED then the LED was more efficient. If you consider the total light generated by the fluorescent bulb then it produced more light per watt.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Is there any documentation that LED backlights will actually use less power? No doubt they have many other benefits (thinner, longer life). I question this because I saw a review that tested LEDs against fluorescent bulbs and found the fluorescent bulbs to be more efficient.

If you only consider the light emitted into the narrow angle emitted by the LED then the LED was more efficient. If you consider the total light generated by the fluorescent bulb then it produced more light per watt.

You are confusing issues. Even it were true that fluorescent bulbs produce more light/watt, this is not the deciding criteria. For a laptop, you want sufficient light for the least watts. A more efficient fluorescent bulb may produce more light than is sufficient at the expense of battery life. However, I doubt that fluorescents are more efficient than LEDs. You don't see fluorescent search lights, do you?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Currently LCD displays use cold cathode fluorescent bulbs for the backlight. This site sells replacement bulbs and has some interesting pictures in their how to repair section.

http://www.lcdpart.com/index.html

I'm not down on LED backlights. They will be brighter and more reliable than CCFLs. According to this article

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=14519

they will produce a wider and more accurate color space than do current backlights. Lots and lots of good things. I'm just curious if there will actually be a difference in power used.

CCFL lamps are very good, compact, portable, diffuse light sources. They aren't used in search lights because they don't produce enough light from a small source.