CBS in talks with Apple over video content distribution

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deanmcg

This is all very fine but what of the shows such as ABC's Lost and The Night Stalker which are already being distributed. Is it just me but they were being posted the day after each show aired. But I have seen neither shows, following the slots on Wednesday and Thursday being posted. Has there been a contractual dispute that I was unaware of? Where are the latest episodes of these shows?

Dean

Yes, the day after.

Due to the schedule, those shows were repeats.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

that still makes no sense at all. as I said, I've never run into this problem. can you give me an example of a cd that is known to not play on macs?

I remember there being some CDs from Sony, here is one of many stories on that topic: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/commen...ippled_cd.html

Anyways, I am still wondering: WHEN WILL ANYONE OUTSIDE THE US GET SOME TV EPISODES??? <-- yes, I am yelling, because it is pissing me off how other countries always have no other way then to wait! I am lucky I live in Germany, but people like the Australians, who just recently got a music store... That is one thing Apple needs to work on!

I want some TV Stuff for my iPod too, and for my Mac anyway...
  • Reply 23 of 36
    What I really want are video podcasts of sports highlights. You can choose your favourite teams and just get the recaps from the night before. That's something I'd actually watch. Not these TV shows.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

I'm wondering if there might be room for a different model. Why not offer a choice between free downloads with commercials or purchasing without.

More plausible imo is $1.99 sans commercials,$0.99 with commercials
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by schildkroeter

I remember there being some CDs from Sony, here is one of many stories on that topic: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/commen...ippled_cd.html

Anyways, I am still wondering: WHEN WILL ANYONE OUTSIDE THE US GET SOME TV EPISODES??? <-- yes, I am yelling, because it is pissing me off how other countries always have no other way then to wait! I am lucky I live in Germany, but people like the Australians, who just recently got a music store... That is one thing Apple needs to work on!

I want some TV Stuff for my iPod too, and for my Mac anyway...

That wasn't the strongest example, I saw that too. Look a few posts up to my earlier post. Those show the destructive cd's. The ones that can really screw up your machine.

I had one of those disks, and threw it away. so that I wouldn't forget.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    I'm not going to watch anything with commercials, especially if you can't fast forward through them. The model for watching media is changing, consumers want choice and hopefully Itunes can do that by getting the content but it's going to be a struggle against these dinosaur networks.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Why would you want to watch a one-hour show like 24 when the iPod's battery will only play 1 1/2 ? 2 hours of video.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Why would you want to watch a one-hour show like 24 when the iPod's battery will only play 1 1/2 ? 2 hours of video.

Because you could watch it on your computer just as well. You could still listen to music after the show. iPods will have better battery life as time goes on.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

30GB = 2 to 2.25 hours of video.

60GB = 3 to 3.5 hours of video.

That's a big difference.

All the reviews I've seen so far have showed that the batteries last longer than Apple's specs.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

More plausible imo is $1.99 sans commercials,$0.99 with commercials

CBS seems to be thinking that way, with a few shows available(CSI, for one) to some markets(via Concast) for .99$ the day after broadcast, with advertisements. But this is in owned and operated stations.

This VOD does seem like it will be a market with room for growth, and so the networks will be exploring it. I hope Apple pursues this, as the ad free shows will be appealing to a lot of people. I suppose if Apple is serious about pursuing it as a market, the idea of ads included will be there, although I don't find it appealing.

There is a resonance with people and the video iPod now. Apple will not be able to be a sole provider of any show, but if it does a good job, it could be a quality provider, and this would sell video iPods, or any other video device that Apple may be coming up with.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

CBS seems to be thinking that way, with a few shows available(CSI, for one) to some markets(via Concast) for .99$ the day after broadcast, with advertisements. But this is in owned and operated stations.

This VOD does seem like it will be a market with room for growth, and so the networks will be exploring it. I hope Apple pursues this, as the ad free shows will be appealing to a lot of people. I suppose if Apple is serious about pursuing it as a market, the idea of ads included will be there, although I don't find it appealing.

There is a resonance with people and the video iPod now. Apple will not be able to be a sole provider of any show, but if it does a good job, it could be a quality provider, and this would sell video iPods, or any other video device that Apple may be coming up with.

Don't forget that the NBC deal is more like a video on demand sort of thing. It stays on the DVR, can't be played anywhere else, and when the DVR is full, has to be deleted. Also, no one knows how long you can keep it on the DVR, or for how long after the original show airs it will be available for download.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Don't forget that the NBC deal is more like a video on demand sort of thing. It stays on the DVR, can't be played anywhere else, and when the DVR is full, has to be deleted. Also, no one knows how long you can keep it on the DVR, or for how long after the original show airs it will be available for download.

Yes, there are lots of catches. The thing is, that if Apple does a good job, and people are seeing that it works well, and they are not hamstrung. but rather have a good value, then our favourite computer company should do all right.

Did you read that the directors guild is happy that there will be more circulation of the programming? I wondered what the actors would have to say about this when they wanted a bigger bite of the Apple's portion, and that was with a price of 1.99$. How will anyone make out big with the .99$ price?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

Yes, there are lots of catches. The thing is, that if Apple does a good job, and people are seeing that it works well, and they are not hamstrung. but rather have a good value, then our favourite computer company should do all right.

Did you read that the directors guild is happy that there will be more circulation of the programming? I wondered what the actors would have to say about this when they wanted a bigger bite of the Apple's portion, and that was with a price of 1.99$. How will anyone make out big with the .99$ price?

I'm not sure if they wanted a bigger share of Apple's part, or t a bigger share.

I would imaginr that as long as everyone is getting paid for their work, everyone will be happy.

The main problem here is considered to be for the local stations. They usually have the reruns. No one is sure as to how that will turn out.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Now, why can't apple buy the content for .99 per track from them re-format thereby adding value it into h.264 then charge 1.99 for the track and sell it on itunes. Or, charge 1.00 for the track and keep the penny. More content= more ipod sales.

++++++++++++++

From the Mac Observer:

Analyst: Apple to Face Harder Battle to Dominate Digital Video

by Bryan Chaffin, 8:55 PM EST, November 8th, 2005

Apple Computer is is going to have a harder time dominating digital video than it did conquering the digital audio market, according to a Wall Street analyst. David C. Bailey of Goldman, Sachs & Co. said that the news of CBS and NBC offering TV shows for US$0.99 per episode through video-on-demand services is an indication that competition in this market will be tougher than in the digital audio market. In comparison, Apple is selling episodes of five TV shows from ABC and Disney for US$1.99.

"The more aggressive price of $0.99 per episode compared to Apple's $1.99 and ability to watch the shows on a TV (instead of a computer or iPod under Apple's agreement) are strong indications that Apple will not be able to easily replicate its digital audio dominance in the nascent market for digital video," wrote Mr. Bailey in a research note obtained by The Mac Observer.

The research note did not get into details such as whether or not the rental model of NBC and CBS will be more attractive to consumers than Apple's purchase model, or other such esoteric aspects that differentiate the two.

The firm reiterated an "Inline" rating, which means Goldman Sachs expects the stock to trade inline with other stocks being covered by Mr. Bailey. A secondary view of "Attractive" was also reiterated, meaning that, "The investment outlook over the following 12 months is favorable relative to the coverage group's historical fundamentals and/or valuation." A price target was not offered.

Apple's stock traded lower today to close at 59.835, down 0.40 (-0.66%) on moderate volume.

*In the interest of full disclosure, the author holds a small share in AAPL stock that was not an influence in the creation of this article.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    kmok1kmok1 Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by humanfellow

I now to return of the humanfellow from November 2004:

When can Canada download TV shows?

Let is begin again...

Dude!

If you are a true Canadian, you should be watching HOCKEY! Haha!

Two yrs ago, Sympatico offered all NHL games via DSL the day after the games were played. Not sure if they are doing that this year.

Yeah, let us have some real Canadian TV programs to download. I just wonder what would they be...
  • Reply 36 of 36
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmok1

Yeah, let us have some real Canadian TV programs to download. I just wonder what would they be...

Don't hold your breath for these international TV downloads... Most of the major broadcast networks are just beginning to test the waters for on-demand viewing of their programming. They're going to try out all of the options, not just jump on a single bandwagon all at once. And don't complain to Apple about leaving you out if you live in Canada or Germany or the UK -- look to your own content providers for answers.

With or without ads?

Through cable boxes or computers?

Streaming or full downloads?

Pay-per-view or allow users to own the episode?

Free, or at a price?

Season subscriptions like a podcast, or single episodes only?

What kind of file formats and DRM to use?

Limits on number of times played, copies made, etc?

The combinations of possibilities are endless, and it's going to take YEARS before one standard way of doing things rises to real popularity. Hell, they're still working their asses off lobbying congress for a broadcast flag to defeat DVRs. And while they continue to take their time, the impatient early adopters (like us) will continue to find our own solutions like BitTorrent.

For the record, I don't think the $1.99 per episode model Apple is offering is too bad, especially considering they're offering the programs ad free. As someone who works in advertising, though, I do find the model a bit unsettling if it were to take off.

Ideally, I'd like to see a podcast-like subscription model. You pay a small upfront fee, say $6.99 for a typical 22 episode season, and new episodes are downloaded automatically when they become available. Each episode includes 1 minute of non-defeatable pre-roll advertising in order to help subsidize the cost. As an alternative, let the subscriptions be free and contain regular commercial breaks.