I WANT a Powermac G5 but I don't know if I need

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Take a good look at both the 20" iMac and the 23" display in person. I actually prefer working on the 23" even if it attached to a 1.5 15" PB. You would get close to that with a maxed out Mac mini - my only advantage is 128 megs on the graphic card.

While a lot of people talk about processors, etc. I now believe that the screen real estate is the most important factor for a lot of people, including me. Unless I am doing some intensive video stuff I'm very happy with a 1.4 G4 chip.

Look at the displays in person and then make a final decision.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by antartican

Im thinking of probably getting one on Ebay. ... Is there a big difference bewteen dual procesor and single. Im guessing there is. Looking at used machines.

Just make sure to stay away from the G5/1.8 Single (late 2004), 600MHz FSB model. It has serious problems.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Hmm. I didn't think there was such thing as a hardcore Windows user.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Haha well im not that hardcore. I just don't know another. Man those screans are nice. Thanks for the heads up on the 1.8.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Hmm. I didn't think there was such thing as a hardcore Windows user.

Sure there are, they tattoo intel inside on their foreheads and listen to anal cunt records backwards while polishing their Windows XP disks, waiting for another virus to ravage their system.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Just to chime in, I had a client who had the widely reported iMac problems-- under heavy load it het up like a cheap date and froze or shut down. Running Temperature Monitor it was clear that the CPU was not getting enough cooling, either because of the case design or a faulty fan control algorithm (shot up to 180º under load and stayed there).

Took it to the Apple Store and they immediately handed over a new "Front Row" model, no questions asked, which tells you something.

Having put it through its paces, Apple appears to have addressed the cooling issues. CPU and HD report temps well within operating spec, even under disc intensive and heavy CPU load tasks.

I know this is just one anecdotal report, but I've seem a few reviews at tech sites that say the same thing.

The "don't get the overheating iMac" advice may no longer be operative.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Just to chime in, I had a client who had the widely reported iMac problems-- under heavy load it het up like a cheap date and froze or shut down. Running Temperature Monitor it was clear that the CPU was not getting enough cooling, either because of the case design or a faulty fan control algorithm (shot up to 180º under load and stayed there).

Took it to the Apple Store and they immediately handed over a new "Front Row" model, no questions asked, which tells you something.

Having put it through its paces, Apple appears to have addressed the cooling issues. CPU and HD report temps well within operating spec, even under disc intensive and heavy CPU load tasks.

I know this is just one anecdotal report, but I've seem a few reviews at tech sites that say the same thing.

The "don't get the overheating iMac" advice may no longer be operative.

cool. (Pun intended). this sounds very promising. there are several problems that have plagued the iMac and this sounds like apple has made good strides in addressing them:

1. SATA hard disk controller bottleneck (crap xbench hard disk numbers) -- improved

2. faulty capacitors -- ok now, apparently

3. overheating -- ok now, apparently

4. whiny, "high-pitched" fans -- not so bad now, apparently, also, some fans are user-replaceable.

it really is a pity that the g5 chip was not thermally as desireable as steve-o would have wanted, but looks like apple has worked hard to get it to something acceptable.