Motorola introduces RAZR V3i handset with iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Motorola on Tuesday revealed two new colors and two new versions of its popular and stylish ultra-slim RAZR mobile handset, including a version that will ship with Apple's iTunes software.

Modelled after the Motorola RAZR V3, the RAZR V3i (previously dubbed the RAZR2) will be just the second mobile handset to feature Apple's iTunes software. It includes an updated and streamlined brushed-metal design, offering a large internal color screen, a hot swappable TransFlash memory card, quad-band technology and Bluetooth wireless connectivity.

The handset, which includes a dedicated iTunes key, also sports an integrated 1.23 megapixel digital camera with a full screen view-finder, 8x digital zoom, and video capture and playback.

Nowhere on Motorola's website does the company provide any details on the handset's iTunes integration, other than to say the device will use a mini-USB stereo headset. However, it's assumed the RAZR V3i will be limited to storing 100 tunes, just like Motorola's first iTunes phone, the ROKR.

Along with the RAZR V3i, Motorola also announced existing RAZR models in shades of pink and ice blue, as well as a RAZR with Ev-DO for CDMA networks. All four new RAZR models are expected to be available in various regions by the end of the year.

"We wanted to evolve the Motorola RAZR without compromising the integrity and philosophy of the original design," said Leslie Dance, Corporate Vice President of Global Marketing and Communications. "These four new phones complement the millions of RAZRs already in use, enabling consumers to choose the experience that best fits their personal style and mobile needs."

Motorola did not announce which carrier would offer the new phones, but Cingular seems a likely choice for RAZR V3i and candy-colored models, while sources indicate that Verizon will eventually begin carrying the CDMA version of the RAZR.

Motorola RAZR V3i with iTunes

The RAZR V3i with iTunes support was first detailed in this September, 2005 AppleInsider report. Meanwhile, a more recent report suggests that in the coming months Motorola will also debut a SLVR L7 handset with iTunes that will not feature a traditional headphone jack and instead will require a Bluetooth headset accessory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    God, that is one ugly phone!
  • Reply 2 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok, this is pretty cool.

Hopefully it will do better than the Rokkr, since this is what everyone was wanting in the first place.

I just wish these articles would stop spreading the misinformation about the 100 song limit.

The limit isn't for the phone, it's for the card. You can get more cards and store more songs. It's a single card playlist limitation. Each card can have another 100 song playlist.

Sure, the costs do add up. But we're not talking about a vast decrease in the number of songs on a card. The card might hold 120 songs, perhaps a few more. So if you wanted 150-200 songs, you would need another card anyway.

I bought my daughter a 512MB Micro SD card on sale for $37.50. Not bad. They will keep getting cheaper.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Please, oh please, oh please have a T-Mobile branded version. I'm looking to upgrade and really don't want to spend out the ass for an unlocked (GSM) version.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Please, oh please, oh please have a T-Mobile branded version.

What is T Mobile, GSM or CDMA?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

What is T Mobile, GSM or CDMA?

GSM. I edited my post above.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

GSM. I edited my post above.

Ok then, at least you have a chance.

I'l keep my (figurative) fingers crossed for you.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    I think it looks pretty slick. Much better than the fugly ROKR.

I've always preferred flip phones because you don't have to remember to lock the damn keypad everytime you put them in your pocket. My first (and last) candy-bar phone dialed out long distance once when it bumped against my keys and it cost me $20. Never again!

(let the jokes about putting a device in your pocket with keys commence...)

The two problems I have with this phone:

1) Again, only 100 songs -- c'mon!

2) I like the tactile feedback of pressing a real button.

Does anyone know if you can expand the number of songs by using extra memory cards (since it says that memory cards are hot-swappable)?

(just noticed the post by melgross after i posted, so i guess that answers my question)

• Reply 8 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    100 songs is fine with me - I may buy one. Does the RAZR phone sync calandar items?

The only things I use my P800 for are

- telephone functions

- address book with sync

- calandar with sync and reminder rings

- solitare game

If I can get all that in the RAZR, I can reduce the bulge in my pocket and get iTunes songs at the same time.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

If I can get all that in the RAZR, I can reduce the bulge in my pocket and get iTunes songs at the same time.

Well, since iSync already supports calendar and address book syncing with the RAZR v3:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

then I'd assume it should work with the v3i when it comes out.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

I think it looks pretty slick. Much better than the fugly ROKR.

I've always preferred flip phones because you don't have to remember to lock the damn keypad everytime you put them in your pocket. My first (and last) candy-bar phone dialed out long distance once when it bumped against my keys and it cost me $20. Never again!

Most (if not all) candy bar style phones have automatic keypad lock, which automatically locks keypads after certain period of inactivity.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filburt

Most (if not all) candy bar style phones have automatic keypad lock, which automatically locks keypads after certain period of inactivity.

Mine doesn't, and I just got it (first cell phone of my life) last june. Nokia something or other 3220 I think. I like my phone. It's small, and it does what I want to (make calls!).

I've never had a problem remembering to lock it.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by filburt

Yeah, this was a few years back (very old Motorola phone -- can't remember the model offhand), and it didn't have that feature. Even still, having to unlock the keypad every time you use your phone is a pain. Also, the problem with antennas (antennae?) snapping off is another issue I have with cell phones. So I prefer an internal antenna (as the RAZR has).

Coincidentally, I don't own a RAZR (I have a Sony Ericsson Z600) and probably won't buy one for a while due to the price (I don't like being locked into a phone plan, so $800cdn for a phone is too much for me), but I do like the style of it.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    This looks interesting and may prove to be the phone I'm looking to purchase but I wish Apple would get on with producing their own brand-already!. I would purchase there's without reservation.

By the time this thing ships I'll know if it's for me but in the mean time, c'mon Apple!

"phone home... home. phone... home"
  • Reply 14 of 40
    I wonder how much it's going to cost?

I'm looking to replace my aging phone - and the RAZR is a cool, sleek phone ... but I'm not sure it's worth what the original RAZR even costs at this point. I guess you pay for the form factor.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    with these phones can you download songs and use them as ring tones?
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

with these phones can you download songs and use them as ring tones?

I don't think so.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielandrews

I'm not sure it's worth what the original RAZR even costs at this point. I guess you pay for the form factor.

The RAZR V3 unlocked GSM phone is down from $600 originally to $279 now - does not seem very expensive to me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...MP=OTC-FROOGLE

The new one with iTunes will undoubedly cost $600.

PS - even lower, $219:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Motorola-V3-...QQcmdZViewItem
  • Reply 18 of 40
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Does Cingular do what verizon so infamously did with the v710 as far as bluetooth? If I get the razor, can I get to the pics and stuff on the phone via the bluetooth spec and not have to "hack" it open or pay for picture mail to get to MY pictures?

I was comparing the Cingular razor to the VZ e815+bluetooth hack for my upcoming departure from Sprint and iTunes will likely be a deal closer.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Does Cingular do what verizon so infamously did with the v710 as far as bluetooth? If I get the razor, can I get to the pics and stuff on the phone via the bluetooth spec and not have to "hack" it open or pay for picture mail to get to MY pictures?

I was comparing the Cingular razor to the VZ e815+bluetooth hack for my upcoming departure from Sprint and iTunes will likely be a deal closer.

I can't say that. But I can tell you what I've been reading about Bluetooth and the phone industry in general.

Phone companies have been disrupting the Bluetooth on phones. When the Treo 650 first came out, people were complaining that there were bugs in the advertised Bluetooth features.

It turned out that the phone companies didn't want any of those features to work other than the headphones. They wanted pictures and stuff sent through their networks ONLY. Same reason why iTunes phones aren't being seen all over.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I can't say much about the new RAZR, but with the existing one that Cingular has, it is indeed possible to transfer pictures and ringtones to/from the phone via Bluetooth.