Help! I've done something silly

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Whilst trying to follow the advice I got to use Disk Utility, I found that I dragged the window for Utilities all the way down to the bottom of my powerbook. I can see it behind the MSN messenger icon, but I can't seem to move it back into the screen.

What do I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Quit Disk Utility

Remove "com.apple.DiskUtility.plist" from your User/Library/Preferences folder

Restart Disk Utility

Disk Utility should now be centered on the screen
  • Reply 2 of 25
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Thanks Russ. I can't believe Apple Tiger would let me do something so stoopid!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Position the Dock on your left or right side of the PowerBook and move Disk Utility from there.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Thanks again Russ - I've now got Disc Utility (icon) on the bottom right. Now I'm wondering why I needed it - it's picked up my external HD but I can't figure out how to transfer the data onto the Apple..?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Thanks again Russ - I've now got Disc Utility (icon) on the bottom right. Now I'm wondering why I needed it - it's picked up my external HD but I can't figure out how to transfer the data onto the Apple..?

Just use the Finder. I don't think there's a way of transfering files with Disk Utility.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Okay. I'm in Finder: - I can see 'Desktop'; 'documents'; 'library', 'movies', 'music', 'pictures', 'public', 'send registration' 'sites' and nothing else.....

Help?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Is your external hard drive showing up above the line in the left column in Finder (where the computer HD, network stuff is)? Or on the desktop? Can you be clearer about what you've done and what you're trying to do? Where in Disk Utility can you see the ext HD?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    WTF no worries Justin, lets just take it step by step and we are here to help you. Tiger normally does not let you do stupid things, it was just a simple honest mistake
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Hi there,

here's where I'm coming from:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=58719

"Is your external hard drive showing up above the line in the left column in Finder (where the computer HD, network stuff is)? Or on the desktop?"

Sadly it isn't in either. This is my first time using an Apple so I don't know what to expect. Is this unusual? Or maybe I need to configure the powerbook to do this perhaps?

Can you be clearer about what you've done and what you're trying to do? Where in Disk Utility can you see the ext HD?"

I've saved all of my Windows XP files and work onto a Seagate 280GB external hard-drive saved on Windows NT format. When I go into >>Disc Utilities, there are two HDs which are picked up - the internal Macintosh HD and the external Seagate.

I can't seem to open the files on the external Seagate HD using programs (i.e. Word) and I don't have the technical knowledge to copy or transfer the external Seagate HD contents to the Mac. In Disk Utility, the external HD shows up (written) underneath the internal Macintosh HD.

Thanks for your support Sunilraman - but you have no idea how hopeless I am with computers! This is one reason why I've migrated to Apple! Oh boy.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    are you using Mac OS Tiger 10.4.3 ?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Okay. I'm in Finder: - I can see 'Desktop'; 'documents'; 'library', 'movies', 'music', 'pictures', 'public', 'send registration' 'sites' and nothing else.....

Help?

Activate the Finder. In the Finder menu, select Preferences. Click on the Sidebar item up top. Check the 'Hard disks' box.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Ta-fucking-da!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    I told him to do that in one other thread he had opened on the same subject. Damn. Such a trivial thing, yet it took 2 days to resolve it (if it has been resolved..)
  • Reply 14 of 25
    um... the hard disk is not showing up on the desktop, it seems. maybe the drive had file encryption on in winXP? because tiger can read NTFS drives
  • Reply 15 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Activate the Finder. In the Finder menu, select Preferences. Click on the General item up top. Check the 'Hard disks' box.

Got ya covered.

For the final answer... open the Terminal application.

Type the following lines, each followed by a return, at the prompt:

cd /Volumes

ls

Report back what it says. That is a list of all volumes mounted and recognized by the system.

If the drive doesn't show up in there, then open Disk Utility, where you said it *DID* show up on the left side, select it, and the click on the Mount button up top.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Give me your address and I'll fly out this weekend.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

WTF no worries Justin, lets just take it step by step and we are here to help you. Tiger normally does not let you do stupid things, it was just a simple honest mistake

The same Tiger that still puts every damn new file on the Desktop under the Dock?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I'm on Tiger 10.43 - the latest.

"Ta-fucking-da!"

Excuse me?

"I told him to do that in one other thread he had opened on the same subject. Damn. Such a trivial thing, yet it took 2 days to resolve it (if it has been resolved..)"

Gene - I did what you said. I didn't ignore your efforts. what you asked me to do didn't work and no, I've not resolved it. I'm starting to think that perhaps I've just recorded the data in the wrong format.

"um... the hard disk is not showing up on the desktop, it seems. maybe the drive had file encryption on in winXP? because tiger can read NTFS drives"

Is there a way I might have encrypted the files accidentally? I've not purposefully sought out to....

"Activate the Finder. In the Finder menu, select Preferences. Click on the General item up top. Check the 'Hard disks' box."

This is what my settings already show - but still not detected....

"For the final answer... open the Terminal application.

Type the following lines, each followed by a return, at the prompt:

cd /Volumes

ls

Report back what it says. That is a list of all volumes mounted and recognized by the system.

If the drive doesn't show up in there, then open Disk Utility, where you said it *DID* show up on the left side, select it, and the click on the Mount button up top."

This may be the problem: Ican see where it says Mount button, but it is not illuminated and I can't access it by clicking. It seems that function is disabled?

My head is hurting......I'm back to my Windows computer for a breather....

Thanks for all of your thoughts so far..
  • Reply 19 of 25
    "Give me your address and I'll fly out this weekend."

That's very kind of you - many thanks. I've never had such offers when I was using Windows. You people are all so wonderful!

***wonderfully sarcastic ****
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Gene - I did what you said. I didn't ignore your efforts. what you asked me to do didn't work and no, I've not resolved it. I'm starting to think that perhaps I've just recorded the data in the wrong format.

No, no.. I didn't mean it that way. I meant to say that sometimes we can't see trivial things (I didn't remember to suggest going to Finder preferences for example) and it takes us 2 days just to figure that out.. apparantly, we didn't do too well.

Don't get frustrated; it's an isolated incident and not somethign that happens all the time. You said the drive was formatted in NT.. as in, FAT, FAT32 or NTFS? It should recognize all of them - if it doesn't, there must be a problem with the OS or a problem with the way the drive was formatted.

I would advise you connect this drive to your Windows computer, where I assume it gets recognized, then share the drive over a network (again, I assume you have a home network) and just copy the data using your network.

That's all I can think of right now.