Monitoring monthly broadband usage?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am about to move to a broadband contract with a 15Gb monthly cap. I reckon it will be easy to stay within 15Gb, but I want to make sure for the first few months.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a thread or an app on versiontracker, so are there any decent apps for monitoring how much I am downloading per month? It does not matter if it indiscriminately counts all network traffic, as I do not use airport at the moment, and have no other network connections other than my USB broadband modem. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    USB? Sure you don't want ethernet? I have not heard of any USB broadband modems working with OS X yet.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

USB? Sure you don't want ethernet? I have not heard of any USB broadband modems working with OS X yet.

It's definitely USB. It worked on 10.3, and my parents have the same one on 10.2 at home. It's an Alcatel Speedtouch or something, most of the ISPs over here hand out USB modems.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    well menuMeters can keep track of total throughput, but it resets everytime you reset the machine (maybe even when you logout)

it might be a good way to get a rough estimate as long as you make note of your totals before shutting down. then add up the monthly total
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

well menuMeters can keep track of total throughput, but it resets everytime you reset the machine (maybe even when you logout)

it might be a good way to get a rough estimate as long as you make note of your totals before shutting down. then add up the monthly total

Thanks Cosmo, I'll give it a shot.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    You might also check your ISP to see if they offer a running total of your usage on your account page. If they don't send them an email telling them it would be a great tool for its customers.

reg