Over 1 million Windows to Mac converts so far in 2005?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    At what point does Apple have too much of a good thing. Enough people switch, eventually the virus and malware makers will discover the platform. And when does Apple begin to threaten MS? (As long as they have single digit percentages I assume they're relatively safe.)
  • Reply 42 of 52
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by Ptrash

At what point does Apple have too much of a good thing. Enough people switch, eventually the virus and malware makers will discover the platform. And when does Apple begin to threaten MS? (As long as they have single digit percentages I assume they're relatively safe.)

I feel that MS is safe until the end of the decade. But Apple making the right choices in the next 5-10 years can help make 2010-2020 *the* decade of the Mac.

As to threshold for rampant virus and malware, how about we say, at least as high as whatever Linux is at now...? 10%, 20%?
  • Reply 43 of 52
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psychboy

It's pretty much the same in central Illinois, isn't it? I'm not too sure about the situation in Peoria (small world, indeed), but there's but a single store here in Bloomington-Normal that supports Mac stuff, and I believe they might only be in the hardware business. It'd really be nice if this platform shift has an effect on the focus of local computer retail businesses...

Hello! from Bloomington IL
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by wymer100

There isn't much in Peoria either unless you drive to Chicago or St Louis. It seems like Apple is still targeting the larger cities for Apple stores, particularly ones with large universities. So, I figure it'll be a few more years (if ever) before Fort Wayne or central IL gets something like an Apple store. Jefferson Point would be a nice place to put one, but I doubt it's on Apple's radar.

Even here at the University of Illinois in Champaign, which luckily has about a 50/50 mac/windows ratio in its labs, the best thing we have is a little tiny cubicle in the union that doesn't stock anything and isn't any better than just going to apple.com You'd thing that you could at least find something around here. Maybe soon.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by brclark82

Even here at the University of Illinois in Champaign, which luckily has about a 50/50 mac/windows ratio in its labs, the best thing we have is a little tiny cubicle in the union that doesn't stock anything and isn't any better than just going to apple.com You'd thing that you could at least find something around here. Maybe soon.

Heh. my high skool classmate went to your uni.... That's so bloody bizarre, isn't it? It's like there are so many apple dealers that well, are still living in the days of the late 90's... "what? you want an Apple? why? Quad Powermac g5? huh? never heard of it... oh... okay, have to special order it, it will take 5 months..." WTF. then when apple corporate "muscles in" to try and get those macs out all the third party dealers cry foul (eg. australia)... but this is another story, that's enough derailing of threads for me today (i acknowledge that some third party dealers globally have legitimate grievances, some are better off becoming a Lenovo/ HP dealer)
  • Reply 46 of 52
    just finished a Switching session of my cousins' family over to a Mac mini. OMFG their outlook.pst was a big smouldering pile of shite full of viruses and worms that was emailing stuff to everyone in their address book.

salvaged the address book, will convert it to apple tiger address book tomorrow. f**k all their old emails, i'll just say it is severely hazardous infected stuff. tried ms outlook 2003 and libpst to import the outlook express .pst file, no go.

i believe this is the last piece of the puzzle for Switching. THE EVIL BEAST THAT IS OUTLOOK EXPRESS
  • Reply 47 of 52
    cool managed to convince my aunt to abandon her old infected outlook express email, successfully transferred addresses via csv to apple address book (highly recommended app: [http://homepage.mac.com/sroy/addressbookimporter/ )

showed her a bit of iPhoto 5, enough tantalising bits there for her to drop photoshop and those dodgy softwares that come with digital cameras.

now, the evil beast that is uLead. iMovie HD to the rescue, but first i have to convert some .VSP file WTF?
  • Reply 48 of 52
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    I'm thinking Apple should hire me as a PR rep ? 9-4-2005 will go down in my personal history as making one of the finest decisions of my life - that was the day I purchased my first Apple *iBook G4 14"* computer! I'm not totally anti-Micro$oft as for YEARS, IBM compatible computers were good for me and my livelihood \. I can say for certain though, the Apple evolution *revolution?* is here, and I'm proud and thrilled to be part of it! Micro$oft, you had your day, now it's Apple's turn !

~ Think Differently ~
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Originally posted by MrSin

...I'm thinking Apple should hire me as a PR rep...

heh. well, thats Apple's advertising costs : $0 and they move (quite) over a million mac units each quarter globally.

it amazed me though, i went in to pick up my reserved mac mini (for my cousin's family) on saturday, and the apple sales guy was just, well, lame. too pushy is one thing, this guy was the total opposite... he was like, "oh, you want a mac mini?" ... very snobby and snooty, like i didn't deserve to get one (a mini! not even a quad or anything!), and was more interested in making sure i named the salesperson i reserved the mac mini through than finding out if this was our first mac, or anything. and we were interested in buying a usb hub, but f**k that we just went to the PC store

there is so much scope for apple growth in developing countries but so far, my personal assesment is that in Malaysia (population 27million, average GDP growth 4-6% per year) apple malaysia via apple asia (singapore) is doing a pathetic, utterly terrible job.

and you should see the ramshackle dodgy dealers that carry the iPod. pathetic really, doing great brand damage and "inverse halo" effect just so apple malaysia can clock some sales of iPods. disgusting.

edit: clearly this is similar to the late 90's in USA where certain (not all) third party dealers of apple macs were certainly not up to scratch: the shops were always dead empty, had dusty old models on display, hardly anything to buy, and the salespeople were arrogant and disinterested. to top it off, every price tag was a big F**yOU slap in the face.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    I too wasn't as impressed with the representatives at the Apple store I went to here in Southern California, as they were with themselves? I wasn't bothered by this, as they were Not the reason I was there - my iBook G4 14" was the reason I was there - went in, told em what I wanted, they brought it out, we paid and left - I haven't been back since, and probably won't until I'm ready for my next Apple computer .
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Originally posted by MrSin

I too wasn't as impressed with the representatives at the Apple store I went to here in Southern California, as they were with themselves? I wasn't bothered by this, as they were Not the reason I was there - my iBook G4 14" was the reason I was there - went in, told em what I wanted, they brought it out, we paid and left - I haven't been back since, and probably won't until I'm ready for my next Apple computer .

heh. sounds like this syndrome continues to exist in many 3rd party apple dealerships globally, and strong mac fans normally do what you do. go in, get what you want, get out, then spend the real quality time -- playing with the mac and then talking about the mac
  • Reply 52 of 52
    I would say your observations are 'right on!' I cannot tell you the name of one person in the Apple store I chose to purchase my iBook - but, i can tell you quite a bit about the iBook I purchased - most important of these is that I am totally pleased with it so far ! My desire is for Apple to do precisely what they are doing, focus on producing a quality product - one that 'simply works,' and in my opinion, they are very successful at doing just that 8)?! We spend at most maybe an hour in the store, and years with the computer we purchase? Which is better for Apple to place their focus ?