"Drunk?" Locked?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Why would a thread that was going so well be locked without explanation? There weren't personal attacks. There was interesting discussion, and then the lock. Bush might be back to drinking, and it's something worth talking about.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Heh. I came over here looking to ask the same question.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    <sigh>

Why is it that I always seem to be the one to answer questions in here?

Well, this will be a crap answer.

I'm not sure who locked it and, based on the thread so far, I personally don't see a reason why it was. I'll venture a guess that it was a pre-emptive strike on what will undoubtedly become a a bit of insanity.

I'll ask. If I don't get an answer, I'll unlock it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I locked it. Sorry I didn't post an explainantion why sooner, but I've been very very busy.

I locked it because it was quite similar to a completely inappropriate 'Has Bush started drinking again?' thread that was based on nothing more than complete conjecture that I locked not too long ago.

In addition, it wasn't political at all, other than the fact it named Bush. Just because a topic is about a politician doesn't make it a political topic.

Lastly, was there any merit to the topic at all, really? What potential was there to further any meaningful discussion about anything? It was a poke fun at bush/defend bush at all cost thread from the start, and was only going to degrade from there.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't agree, but okay. You're the moderator.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Since when do we lock threads for being based on "complete conjecture"?

There have been all kinds of threads begun on rumor and innuendo which were never locked, based on nothing more that a Drudge Report. Remember "Kerry had an affair"?

Moreover, it's not like this is just out of nowhere, the guy has a history, there has been a lot of speculation, there are the facial abrasions, odd lapses, extended disappearances. etc. Drudge hasn't picked it up but the National Inquirer has, which is at least as good a source.

Anywho, for my part, I thought providing some background on the disease would help put the discussion in context.

Decision of the mod is final, sure, I get that, I just think it wasn't such a good call.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    conjecture is only one part of it, as I described. even if i thought all the other points I stated were valid, if there were photos of the guy doing shots at a state dinner, i wouldn't have locked it.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Fair enough, but perhaps you won't be surprised that the next time someone starts a "liberal does x" thread with no more evidence than a blog entry somewhere, I reference your decision here when I call for it to be locked.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I welcome you to reference my decision in such a case.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Just thought I'd pop back and take note that Rageous has locked a mean-spirited Hillary thread, which strikes me as evidence of even handedness.

I appreciate the sensible moderating, and won't be so quick to suspect foul play next time I disagree with a decision.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Just thought I'd pop back and take note that Rageous has locked a mean-spirited Hillary thread, which strikes me as evidence of even handedness.

Well, we all know Hillary is a...oh...right...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I appreciate the sensible moderating, and won't be so quick to suspect foul play next time I disagree with a decision.

he has got to get that monkey out of his ass!