Free, lightweight word processor and spreadsheet

Posted:
in Mac Software edited February 2015
Can anybody recommend a lightweight free word processor and spreadsheet for OS X? I've been using NeoOffice, but it takes too long to load and I don't need the advanced feature set.

For the word processor, I just need a spell checker, page breaks and the ability to create a page of contents and an index.

For the spreadsheet, I just want the ability to do simple calculations, and simple formulas, as well as maybe text to columns and freeze panes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

Can anybody recommend a lightweight free word processor and spreadsheet for OS X? I've been using NeoOffice, but it takes too long to load and I don't need the advanced feature set.

For the word processor, I just need a spell checker, page breaks and the ability to create a page of contents and an index.

For the spreadsheet, I just want the ability to do simple calculations, and simple formulas, as well as maybe text to columns and freeze panes.

You could look into TeX or LaTeX, but that might be a little more complicated than you want to get.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    For the word processor I would suggest Appleworks, included with iMacs and iBooks OR Abiword , which is free.

If you could be persuaded to spend a few dollars, Mellel , which comes in a version 2.0 within the week is a steal at $29.95.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    There's no free spreadsheet on OS X. I've never been able to figure out what makes a spreadsheet so hard to code that none of the gazillion geeks on the platform dare to touch the segment.

Basically, your choices are to hang with NeoOffice, buy MarinerPak for US$90., or wait for the new version of iWork in January, which will be either $99. or $129.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    A quick search reveals the free Flexisheet - but it hasn't been updated since 2002
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    You could just keep NeoOffice loaded all the time? That does away with the startup time.

If you are willing to run X11 spreadsheets, I understand that Gnumeric and Ksomething are fast and held to be better than the OO.org one.
  • Reply 6 of 6

Hello....

There are lots of wore processing softwares that might be perfect match for you. Since above someone had already mentioned Abiword. which i had used for some time. Neoffice on the other hand is a good too which is now came with lots of improvements so that you can get into it again and i guess the new versions, you will found really a perfect match.

In case you still don't like are thinking it complicated, i would suggest using BEAN which might be a match for your choice which was actually suggested in a blog post "Free word processor". All in all, you can try using online word editor programs that even don't needs installing and has an easy to use interfaces.