Fontbook & font issues

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Every now and then, when I check my active fonts in FontBook, there's always a bunch of fonts activated without my interference. I know some apps throw in and activate fonts, but even without installing a new app there's always a truckload of new actives (Chinese, Japanese, weird fonts no-one needs ...). Does anyone know why ?

Also, is there a way to view your (active) fonts by family ? A have to scroll for ages in Photoshop/Word/Flash sometimes, because every font is listed separate and not by family. Alternative tools, maybe (Suitcase, FontAgent Pro ?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Every now and then, when I check my active fonts in FontBook, there's always a bunch of fonts activated without my interference. I know some apps throw in and activate fonts, but even without installing a new app there's always a truckload of new actives (Chinese, Japanese, weird fonts no-one needs ...). Does anyone know why ?

Also, is there a way to view your (active) fonts by family ? A have to scroll for ages in Photoshop/Word/Flash sometimes, because every font is listed separate and not by family. Alternative tools, maybe (Suitcase, FontAgent Pro ?)

This is little more than a shot in the dark, but don't be so quick to say that "no-one needs" those fonts. If you take notice of the websites that you visit, you will see Asian characters. You may see them only as a single selection. They may be featured more prominently. These tend to be activated as needed.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Try using FontExplorer X by Linotype. It's free.

The "weird fonts no-one needs" are system fonts that are installed incase you want to use your computer and you are from another country. They can be deleted or at least moved so they don't activate. Look in System/Fonts, and Library/System/Fonts, and ~/Library/Fonts. You'll see the weird font on, I think, two of these locations. When I get to work I'll post a link about which fonts can be removed without damaging your operating system. Until then sit tight and don't delete anything.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

This is little more than a shot in the dark, but don't be so quick to say that "no-one needs" those fonts. If you take notice of the websites that you visit, you will see Asian characters. You may see them only as a single selection. They may be featured more prominently. These tend to be activated as needed.

I know you need a chinese font to visit a chinese site, but I also know no browser or app needs a, say, 'Eileen Caps' font, wich is some dark-age parchment letter. But they always come back (along with some others). And they're not in the system folder either.

Clearing the cache. Ok. But after a while the fonts come back. Maybe just a FontBook glitch ?

Thanks for the FontExplorer tip. I'll give it a try.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

I know you need a chinese font to visit a chinese site, but I also know no browser or app needs a, say, 'Eileen Caps' font, wich is some dark-age parchment letter. But they always come back (along with some others). And they're not in the system folder either.

Clearing the cache. Ok. But after a while the fonts come back. Maybe just a FontBook glitch ?

Thanks for the FontExplorer tip. I'll give it a try.

If you have Eileen Caps installed, then it was added by something that you installed on your computer. I can only surmise that it is reactivated whenever you use the app that requires it.