[?]What's the best IM client for Mac OS X

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    My PC friends are ignorant of the circumstances, but still they nag me to download MSN Messenger 6. What am I suppose to tell them, HUH? WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO SAY?

MSN on iChat, or a better MSN Messenger?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Um, get better friends?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    If only there were an OS X native gaim.. hmm.. I could always use gaimf rom my Linux box over X Windows... nah, too much trouble. iChat does everything I want right now except for sending files, which isn't that big of an issue when you run an http server, an ftp server, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

iChat does everything I want right now except for sending files,

What?

iChat has been able to send and receive files since day one.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

If only there were an OS X native gaim.. hmm.. I could always use gaimf rom my Linux box over X Windows... nah, too much trouble. iChat does everything I want right now except for sending files, which isn't that big of an issue when you run an http server, an ftp server, etc.

Yeah a native Gaim would be awesome...but sadly there is not.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Anyway?

Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

What?

iChat has been able to send and receive files since day one.

Does it support file sharing?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Nah, no file sharing I don't think. The iChat AV beta is buggy when it comes to sending and receiving files (usually after you sent one), and it acts weird with custom backgrounds. You still can't set your own profile, and custom backgrounds act awkward sometimes. I hope Panther will fix those things.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Wow... I'm absolutely amazed you guys don't use Adium X... (www.adiumx.com)

It's the most customizable IM client anywhere, and contrary to the above statment, It is NOT AIM only... It supports every major protocol, even Google Talk.

There isn't any Voice/Video yet, but it's worth it over iChat... Proteus is quite a ways behind Adium...
  • Reply 29 of 32
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smashbrosfan

Wow... I'm absolutely amazed you guys don't use Adium X... (www.adiumx.com)

It's the most customizable IM client anywhere, and contrary to the above statment, It is NOT AIM only... It supports every major protocol, even Google Talk.

Except this topic is all the way back from 2003, when Adium was neither called "Adium X", nor did it support anything but AIM. While made by the same lead developer, Adam Iser, it was an almost entirely different application.

Quote:

There isn't any Voice/Video yet, but it's worth it over iChat... Proteus is quite a ways behind Adium...

Again, check the dates of previous posts.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Thread necromancy. :'(

How smashbrosfan fished this out, I don't know...but it seems either he's trying to be a smart ass or it was an honest mistake while using Search.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Thread necromancy. :'(

Heh.

Quote:

How smashbrosfan fished this out, I don't know...but it seems either he's trying to be a smart ass or it was an honest mistake while using Search. [/B]

I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    i use Adium and I love it, you can use all the different services at once, and its fully skinnable and everything.