firmware update not working?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Here's my setup:

15gb iPod with the row of four round buttons - what is that, 3G?

iBook 1Ghz with 10.4.2

iTunes 6.0

Basically, I can't load any AAC songs onto my iPod - playlists composed entirely of AAC don't transfer, and Artists, Songs, and Albums that refer to AAC files don't show up when browsing. I get a message when I try to sync my iPod via the Firewire dock that my iPod's software is too old, even though I ran the latest iPod software update when it came out in mid-October. I've been having the problem since then, but only just decided to deal with it. Today I manually downloaded this update again, and when I tried to install it, got to the point in the installation process where it asked which volume I wanted to install on (either the iBook's harddrive or my iPod's) but the iPod's icon had a red (!) symbol imposed over it, with the message that the software update required OS 10.2.8 or later.

Which is odd. Because I have 10.4.2 and iTunes 6. I think I read something on Apple's website about needing to connect with USB 2.0, but I don't have the appropriate dock cable, I don't think, and am not prepared to purchase one. These are, after all, only songs (and all the songs) I've purchased through the Music Store that I'm now unable to transfer, which makes it extra frustrating. Why would Apple allow any incompatibility between software and firmware that would prevent their own songs from being transferred between their devices? Needless to say, it's annoying. Can anyone help?

thanks,

nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by nickgb3

Here's my setup:

My wife just purchase a new nano, and is having the same problem. She has installed everything to bring her system up to date. It copies everything but purchased music. She is considering returning her nano, as we got an older ipod to work. Apple is going to lose money over this.

Has anyone found a problem around this for Tiger users who get the "some songs can't be transferred because your ipod software is too old" problem?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Just giving this thread a bump. Still looking for help! Please!

Quote:

Here's my setup:

15gb iPod with the row of four round buttons - what is that, 3G?

iBook 1Ghz with 10.4.2

iTunes 6.0

Basically, I can't load any AAC songs onto my iPod - playlists composed entirely of AAC don't transfer, and Artists, Songs, and Albums that refer to AAC files don't show up when browsing. I get a message when I try to sync my iPod via the Firewire dock that my iPod's software is too old, even though I ran the latest iPod software update when it came out in mid-October. I've been having the problem since then, but only just decided to deal with it. Today I manually downloaded this update again, and when I tried to install it, got to the point in the installation process where it asked which volume I wanted to install on (either the iBook's harddrive or my iPod's) but the iPod's icon had a red (!) symbol imposed over it, with the message that the software update required OS 10.2.8 or later.

Which is odd. Because I have 10.4.2 and iTunes 6. I think I read something on Apple's website about needing to connect with USB 2.0, but I don't have the appropriate dock cable, I don't think, and am not prepared to purchase one. These are, after all, only songs (and all the songs) I've purchased through the Music Store that I'm now unable to transfer, which makes it extra frustrating. Why would Apple allow any incompatibility between software and firmware that would prevent their own songs from being transferred between their devices? Needless to say, it's annoying. Can anyone help?

thanks,

nick

• Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Just giving this thread a bump. Still looking for help! Please!

Consider it bumped.

We went to the Apple store. After much checking, they decided a new Tiger install was needed. The first try failed. Disk utility said the disk was ok. The second install failed halfway, rendering the machine unbootable. We came home, used target disk mode to backup everything to an external drive, wiped the disk and reinstalled tiger from scratch, and did Software Update to bring everything back.

My wife's iBook had had incremental updates, including from pre-Tiger systems, and older iPod updates. But only this complete reinstall of Tiger did the trick. It wasn't the nano - the Apple Store guys swapped ours for another with no change - so it was the software, somehow.

Anyone in a similar (w/Tiger) spot should consider a full and complete backup, scrub the disk, reinstall, and start over. It was the only thing that worked for us after a long time on the phone to Apple support (they were terrific as always) and several hours of efforts at an Apple Store.

Whatever this problem is, it isn't (obviously) easily remedied. It seems a drastic approach was needed.

Good luck.

Brian