Best keyboard for used G4?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I dislke the small keyboard Apple bundled with their early G4 towers and I'm looking to replace it. I tried out the Apple Pro keyboard and I really don't like it either. The keys on both are just too cheap and springy feeling. I really liked Apples old ADB keyboard and I'm trying to find a USB keyboard as close to it as possible while still looking good enough to somewhat closely match the G4 400. I'm planning on buying Logitech's blue wheel mouse(unless someone can mention something better), so it can match the mouse rather than the tower since the tower is on the floor anyway. Thanks in advance......................

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Any USB keyboard should mork fine. Just remember that if you get a third-party one that you won't get the sound buttons and eject bottons. I have a spare microCONNECTORS keyboard that's graphite-colored and has that old PeeCee-ish "clakity" feel to it. It reminds me of the old Apple Extendend keyboards, but I really like the Pro keyboard much better.

Just go to a copmuter store and try out some keyboards to see what feels good to you. As I said, any generic USB keyboard should work fine.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    wouldn't I need one made for Macs? I sure don't want to look at a windows button on it! I would like to find a black keyboard, but graphite would be fine also. Beige just wouldn't cut it.............
  • Reply 3 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>wouldn't I need one made for Macs? I sure don't want to look at a windows button on it! I would like to find a black keyboard, but graphite would be fine also. Beige just wouldn't cut it.............</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure you can get any USB keyboard to work with Macs.
  • Reply 4 of 12

<strong>wouldn't I need one made for Macs? I sure don't want to look at a windows button on it!</strong><hr></blockquote>As I said, any USB keyboard should work. The Windows key will be mapped to the Apple/command key. Also, realize that the alt/option and "command" keys are swapped on Windows keyboards. You'll just have to get used to having those keys kinda backwards.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I checked out Microconnectors website for that keyboard you mentioned and it seems to look pretty good from what I could see, however, does it have 2 usb ports on it like apples keyboards do?

Also, does microconnectors make a usb mouse also? I don't remember seeing one on their web site.......
  • Reply 6 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't know if they sell it seperately, but in '99 my dad got the USB upgrade kit free from MacConnection when he got his iMac and it came with a mouse.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    i suppose you could continue to use your old trusty ADB pro keyboard with a USB converter if you really wanted to. adesso and macally make mac replacement keyboards, but i have yet to find one that has the dedicated keys for volume, mute and eject like the current apple pro keyboard. i'd love to be proven wrong on this...anyone know better?
  • Reply 8 of 12

<strong>I checked out Microconnectors website for that keyboard you mentioned ... does it have 2 usb ports on it like apples keyboards do?</strong><hr></blockquote>Yes, this keyboard has a powered USB hub much like Apple's keyboard. There are two connections, one on either side at the top. Apple System Profiler identifies it as:

[code]output (ALCOR)

Product IDt-28141 ($9213): STRONG MAN KBD HUB

VendortAlcor Micro, Inc.

Driver versiontNot available

Driver nametNot available

Power (mA)t500 ($1f4)

Release numbert80.0

Serial numbert1234

ALCOR

Product IDt-27632 ($9410): STRONG MAN KBD HUB

VendortAlcor Micro, Inc.

Driver versiontNot available

Driver nametNot available

Power (mA)t200 ($c8)

Release numbert80.0

Serial numbert1234</pre><hr></blockquote>

I don't know about any mouses though (and yes, the plural of a *computer* mouse is "mouses").
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Thanks for all the info. I may try the Microconnectors keyboard. Does it look good? I find the MacAlly keyboards to be butt ugly. The logitech wheel mouse(blue) doesn't exactly match anything but i heard its good. Gotta figure out what to do about that.

As for ADB I have considered the adaptor, unfortunately the beige keyboard and mouse would look nasty with either the tower or the black monitor I plan to buy................................
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Eh, it looks nice. It has black keys with white lettering and the top half is the same translucent graphite color of the PCI/AGP towers. The underside is a smokey translucent grey. It's also slightly larger than Apple's Pro keyboard. If I had a digital camera I'd take a picture, but I don't. Instead I'll post a video.

<a href="http://brad.project-think.com/movies/keyboard.mov"; target="_blank">http://brad.project-think.com/movies/keyboard.mov</a>;

I has the distinct "feel" of a PC keyboard. I really suggest going to a computer outlet like CompUSA or CircuitCity or something like that to try out the keyboards for yourself because the touch of the keys can make or break your computing experience.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to do that. I think it looks pretty good. I'll have to buy it without trying it because comp doesn't carry them. I would say its my top choice right now.

Now to pick out a freaking mouse!....................
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    I'm using MS Internet keyboard and it's just fine. The internet shortcuts work in Os9 onely though but anything else is just fine