Help! I've done something silly

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    good idea gene... maybe even a computer-to-computer network via fw400 would be fast, and winXP is normally okay with that... well justin, think of it as a learning experience

edit: justin, if you have the following, then we can try this fast method. let's see if you have the following:

1. firewire 400 (IEEE1394) port on your pc

2. fw 400 port on your mac

3. firewire cable

4. winxp service pack 1 at least on your pc

5. plug one end of firewire cable in pc, the other end in the mac.

see back here for step 6 (setting up mac as to serve dhcp via fw400, setting up PC to enable tcp/ip over the firewire connection) hmm i guess it is starting to sound complicated but it's not really... i have winxp2pro on my pc so i can post screenshots.......

• Reply 22 of 25
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Hi Gene,

No problem,except getting frustrated by a new OS is very hard not to succumb to.

It's recorded on NTFS.....the external Seagate reads perfectly on the Windows XP.

"(again, I assume you have a home network) and just copy the data using your network."

Oh boy....I haven't even started posting about this yet. I have all the equipment for a home network and no technical savvy. Should've spent more time learning IT in skool instead of chasing girls ;(

>>

1. firewire 400 (IEEE1394) port on your pc

2. fw 400 port on your mac

3. firewire cable

4. winxp service pack 1 at least on your pc

5. plug one end of firewire cable in pc, the other end in the mac.

Hold on....this is making sense - is a firewire the same as an ethernet cable? The small tiny one a fraction the size of a USB port? I have the latest 17" Apple and an ethernet on the Windows XP. Any good?

I'm off on a long-haul flight so I'll check when I get across.

Thanks for helping.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    meh. i should have spent more time at skool chasing girls instead of in front of the computer. but all has been brought into balance and i am returning to my geek roots. girls are expensive, troublesome and painful. though their not as bad as having to deal with winDoze...

firewire is not the same as ethernet. sorry mate, we gotta get more information on whether you have an ethernet or firewire cable, before we can proceed further.

(other appleinsiders, would we need to get into cat5crossover dealie-o's? *sigh*)

justin to you have anything like a "router" or "wireless router" as you mentioned you have some home networking equipment gear?

are you able to simultaneously access the internet when your apple mac is on at the same time as your windows pc is on?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    The methods given here should all work for you but Apple gives here some simple instructions to transfer your files from windows to your mac, some of them are already covered here, but maybe apple has little less techie way to describe the process than we do
  • Reply 25 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Just so you know, this kind of problem is extremely atypical in Mac OS X. Usually stuff is pretty damned easy to just plug in and have work. I don't know what the problem is in your scenario though.