Sony: Who cares about rootkits???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Boys and girls,

This is how you shoot yourself in the foot.

Article on news.cnet.co.uk

Quote:

Most people don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?

This reminds me of the incident which happened about ten years ago when Intel released a batch of 486s with math co-processors that could not divide correctly. Intel thought it was no big deal also, but they replaced all defects since they didn't want to lose customers. It is your move, Sony. Are you going to continue to play dumb?

One thing for sure, somebody's gonna get the boot!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmok1

Boys and girls,

This is how you shoot yourself in the foot.

Article on news.cnet.co.uk

This reminds me of the incident which happened about ten years ago when Intel released a batch of 486s with math co-processors that could not divide correctly. Intel thought it was no big deal also, but they replaced all defects since they didn't want to lose customers. It is your move, Sony. Are you going to continue to play dumb?

One thing for sure, somebody's gonna get the boot!

This reminds me of the intel Penteum 3s that had hard-coded serial numbers and when connected, could call home...that lasted 5 minutes when it went public...

This is differance though, sony is sticking to their guns, and hopefully will sue the AV makers like Symantec and Network Associates who call it a virus now under the DMCA -- circumventing copy protection -- this could be the death of at least part of the DMCA.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Security Now! and TWiT both talk extensively about this atrocity. Every day I'm glad even more that I use a Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    can these special rootkit cds still be burned and act normally with iPod + iTunes?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Security Now! and TWiT both talk extensively about this atrocity. Every day I'm glad even more that I use a Mac.

CosmoNut, you spoke too soon...

SlashDot on Sony's DRM for MAC!

Hey, I am glad that I am on a Mac too, but I know one of these days will come...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    This also looks pretty bad for Microsoft because it comes down to another security flaw in windows. It is possible to automatically install a piece of software just by inserting a CD. No prompt, no nothing just malicious software installed without your knowledge or consent. I'm not sure who's more to blame, Sony for the rootkit or Microsoft for allowing it.