iMac2-made CD doesn't read in Discman

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My Discman doesn't read CD's made from the SuperDrive of my iMac2. Is this because it is a CD-RW drive? Because with my old Imation CD-R drive, they read no problem. I've tried both CD-R and CD-RW discs with no luck. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by parkov:

<strong>My Discman doesn't read CD's made from the SuperDrive of my iMac2. Is this because it is a CD-RW drive? Because with my old Imation CD-R drive, they read no problem. I've tried both CD-R and CD-RW discs with no luck. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How old is your discman? I have an old (six or seven years) one that will read some computer made CD's and not others. In my experience it seemed to be what brand (sony or memorex, 4x or 8x, that sort ot hing) of disc and not the computer that made it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Hey. I would say that it is the brand of CD that you are using rather than the burner itself. I have a Panasonic discman and have had trouble with Memorex CDR's... the brand that i buy are called Cursor, they seem to be the cheapest, but also work the best (with my discman). I have asked tech people about the differences, and i guess difference brands of CDR's contain different chemicals and that has an effect on the way that the laser is reflected. I have also been advised that burning at slower speeds may help, as it burns "deeper" or somethin to that effect. whether or not this is true, i dont know, but it has helped me sometimes. I hope this helps
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    My DVD player won't play CD-Rs and CD-RWs but it will play DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs. Go figure.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It sounds like the disc not the drive, try checking what speeds some of the older discs you were using were. If it's a multiple speed disc you should see if you can manualy change write speeds from the applcation you're using weather it be iTunes, or Toast. whatever speeds your old Discs, and Drive/App were that you were using is what you are trying to replicate first. Then after you get it working you should alter things one at a time to narrow down what it was that would not let your player read. You could also check your disc payers (discman) manual and see if it specifies what burn speeds it will read. Sony may have this info at their site already in a FAQ you could check there too.

You could also search <a href="http://www.google.com"; target="_blank">Google</a> for somthing like commonly unread burn speeds, or something like that you may get lucky.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by parkov:

<strong>My Discman doesn't read CD's made from the SuperDrive of my iMac2. Is this because it is a CD-RW drive? Because with my old Imation CD-R drive, they read no problem. I've tried both CD-R and CD-RW discs with no luck. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

sorry parkov, but i gotta ask...

are you sure you know how to make an audio CD? seriously, since in 9.x you can drag and drop **** to a disc, doesn't mean you're creating a 'redbook' CD. are you using the finder, or something like Toast to make the CD's? Also, doublecheck what kind of media you're using, Apple tends to include both CD-R and CD-RW. and though most audio CD players will play CD-R, many will not play CD-RW.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>My DVD player won't play CD-Rs and CD-RWs but it will play DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs. Go figure.</strong><hr></blockquote>

just for the record, that's because the DVD standards and CD standards use different wavelengths of light. so for a DVD player to read a CD, it takes (essentially) a seperate laser mechanism. but, for a DVD player to read DVD-R/RW, it simply takes a chip that understands both sets of data. (much cheaper to make a DVD player that reads DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-Audio, than one that reads DVD + CD.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    parkovparkov Posts: 12member
    Well, my Discman is pretty old too, but it used to work just fine. I'm using the same CD's as before, Imation 24X 80min CD-R. The only difference is that on my old computer, I used a proprietary version of Toast that came with the SCSI drive to burn the CD's and with the iMac2, I'm using iTunes. Maybe it has to do with speed, as onlooker suggested.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That whole speed thing was a blind shot at it. I wouldn't count on that being the problem. I was just trying to help you trouble shoot. That's why I sugested Google, and a sony FAQ to start off with. I'm not even sure if recording at a different speed would affect playback. I was just thinking of more trouble shooting options for you to use before.

Actually I myself would try a FAQ's from CD-R manufacturers, Adaptec (Toast's site), and anyone else who may have heard of a similar problem happening.

A serch engine will usually show you exactly whats wrong. Just ask it the right question.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There's a Yamaha drive out there with a special feature that burns the pits in your blank CDr's a little deeper (very close to a studio pressed disc) so that they'll play (guaranteed) in even the more obstinate consumer CD players. The only catch is the drive has to slow down to 4X to do it.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    nice sig matsu.

i'm sure it's a combination of drive, cd media, and old discman. most new discmans come with a little CD-R/RW logo on them, i have had no trouble with these... but with older hardware you have to do the cd-voodoo-dance before you press play.