question about imac LCD monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I saw the new imac for the first time this weekend and over all i was both impressed and dissapointed. Impressed for the obvious coolness of the design but dissapointed at two things.

1. When i played a quicktime movie that was on the desktop ("the one on apple's website... "for those of you who think we've gone to far ...) it seemed very washed out... the entire imac bled into the white background. Is this a common problem with the new imac monitor or was it due to harsh overhead lighting or something else I'm missing?

2. I suspect this is an osx problem but the fonts on screen seemed really poorly anti-alised... is this osx or the LCD?

Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    freemanfreeman Posts: 21member
    I remember the imac's display as clear and sharp at optimum resolution (1024x768). it is true that the display seems very blurry at other resolutions (800x600 or even 640x480). maybe the imac you saw wasn't set to optimum resolution...

but who needs the smaller resolutions really? i actually even find the 1024x768 res a bit too small.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mackiemackie Posts: 13member
    It was definitly set to the highest res... I checked that out. The fonts just looked like they were rendered kinda poorly and the monitor didn't seem to pick up the very light colours... they were all "blown out" to white
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by mackie:

<strong>It was definitly set to the highest res... I checked that out. The fonts just looked like they were rendered kinda poorly and the monitor didn't seem to pick up the very light colours... they were all "blown out" to white</strong><hr></blockquote>

i know what youre talking about. maybe it's a matter of personal taste, since most people like the brightness of the imac's display, but i would prefer a darker contrast. but it really isnt that awful or noticeable. it most likely had to do with the lighting in the store and whatever you were watching. i noticed that the movie clips/trailers they had running on the cinema display in comp usa looked really blurry.