iMac2 to work on.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Maybe I am totally crazy, but I think I am gonna switch from my old stinky G4 400 to a new iMac 800. I am a webdesigner so I am a lot in photoshop mucking around.

1. Is this a big mistake? I fell in love with the little sweetie and just want it.

2. Can I work with that low resolution?

3. The vga out is mirror only, but what resolution is it? 1024 as the iMac.screen? (Stupid question I know)

4 How is the colors in the screen?

thanks...

roger

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Zadak ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Zadak:

<strong>

3. The vga out is mirror only, but what resolution is it? 1024 as the iMac.screen? (Stupid question I know)

4 How is the colors in the screen?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, the mirroring is 1024x768.

The colors are great. The iMac's LCD really is great.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    1024x768 was fine for me on my Powerbook for a few years, doing graphics and such...

...UNTIL I moved to a computer at work with higher res. Now I can't go back. In fact, now I'm getting greedy and want a dual monitor extended desktop setup.

I would suggest changing the resolution on your G4 400's monitor to 1024x768 and working with that for awhile to see if you can stand it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    supersuper Posts: 82member
    I've been doing all my web design on my PISMO. It lets me be creative wherever i am . The screen size is ok. If you're doing comps in Photoshop or Illustrator TAB becomes your best friend, hiding all those palletes. I think an iMac would be fine. The one feature that would make the iMacs truly great would be an extended desktop feature rather than just mirroring for exactly these kind of users who need more screen area.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    [quote] The one feature that would make the iMacs truly great would be an extended desktop feature rather than just mirroring for exactly these kind of users who need more screen area. <hr></blockquote>

Which is exactly why I got a TiBook instead of a new iMac. In a perfect world, the new iMac would have this feature, but that would cannabalize sales of Pro products, as it would have in my case.