Latest iPod nanos ship with protective sleeve

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Although it has denied that the iPod nano is more susceptible to scratches than any other iPod model, Apple's latest shipments of the ultra-thin digital music player include a new protective sleeve.

The soft fabric sleeve is nearly identical to the one included with Apple's new fifth-generation video iPod, only scaled down to fit the nano snugly. Apple previously did not ship any protective casing with nano, which was introduced in September.

Last month, consumers upset about easily scratched or marred iPod nanos filed a class-action lawsuit against Apple, demanding their money back plus a share of the company?s profits.

The suit was later extended when consumers from the United Kingdom and Mexico filed a similar class-action lawsuit against the company in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.

Word that Apple -- under pressure from the suit -- would begin including protective sleeves with the nano was first revealed in a previous AppleInsider report.

Rumor also has it that Apple has instructed its iPod nano manufacturing partner Hon Hai to include an additional layer of protective coating on the latest batch of nanos.

Sources who continue to file accurate reports have said that iPod maker is prepared to ship between 3 and 4 million nanos each month for the three-month period ending December 31st.

(Photo credits: Dave's iPaq Report)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I was going to buy one for my wife anyway. Thank you Apple for good products you make.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Although it has denied that the iPod nano is more susceptible to scratches than any other iPod model... Apple has instructed its iPod nano manufacturing partner Hon Hai to include an additional layer of protective coating on the latest batch of nanos.

(Photo credits: Dave's iPaq Report)

If I remember correctly, Apple's response to reports of extreme scratches was that the same material was being used to coat the Nanos as was used for the larger 4G models. What Apple and the consumer seem to have ignored is that more of the clear plastic is being used. Perhaps the plastic is simply too soft and thick - meaning the more of it, the deeper the gashes become and the more light refracts into the gash distorting, for example, the screen.

Just a theory.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I got an iSkin cover when I bought my iPod Photo, since I understood it would scratch---it's made of PLASTIC.

This is a smart move on Apple's part, but frankly, there's no merit to this class action suit.

Class action lawsuits only benefit teams of lawyers who draw them up, extorting huge settlements from corporations. They are not interested in achieving "justice", they are interested in big money. The lawyers walk away with a couple of million in the settlement and "consumers" who are stupid enough to join in on the lawsuit are eventually given a coupon worth $5.00 for free downloadable music from iTunes.

What bull.

This leads to a little sticker on every box of iPods that reads, "Your iPod can become scuffed or scratched during normal use. Please buy a protective sleeve or cover to ensure your iPod's pristine beauty. Don't steal music. Only you can prevent forest fires. Wear seatbelt at all times. Smoking causes cancer."
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

If I remember correctly, Apple's response to reports of extreme scratches was that the same material was being used to coat the Nanos as was used for the larger 4G models. What Apple and the consumer seem to have ignored is that more of the clear plastic is being used. Perhaps the plastic is simply too soft and thick - meaning the more of it, the deeper the gashes become and the more light refracts into the gash distorting, for example, the screen.

Just a theory.

There are definitely questions to ask, since it would be really stupid for Apple to tell such an obvious lie. Is the plastic the same or not?

But I don't think it's thickness of the plastic shell itself--that's too thick to scratch all the way through, on any iPod. All full-size iPods have had a thick clear shell with white (or black) underneath that.

If there's some other micro-layer on top of that, though, that could be what Apple is asking to increase.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

All full-size iPods have had a thick clear shell with white (or black) underneath that.

But that's exactly the point - all iPods have a thick clear shell, but none so thick as the new iPods. I held a nano and an iPod video for the first time the other day and immediately noticed that the clear pastic coating is much thicker than my iPod 4G.

Yes, it's the same plastic, but there's more of it.

Scratches on reflective material show up in light because the light reflects back on itself inside the gash, highlighting it. This is why scratches always look worse under a camera flash. This is also why the backlit screens on the new iPods are becoming distorted.

With the old iPods, the thinner shells prevented scratches from being deep enough to distort the screen. The new iPods have very thick shells, which means scratches can be deeper, which mean they are more distortive, etc.

If I'm correct, thickening the shell will only worsen the problem.
  • Reply 6 of 6

You people haven't heard? Apple's already settled the class-action lawsuit!

As part of the settlement Apple's sending a "Whip It" kit through the mail which includes; aforementioned slip cover, small can of Brasso, a micro-cloth, and one free iTunes download. The free song is compensation for your time involved in cleaning the Nano's screen. Unfortunately, this free iTunes download is for one specific title, fortunately the lyrics of this song are also the instructions for said cleaning, and it goes something like this,

crack that whip

give the past the slip

step on a crack

break your momma's back

when a problem comes along

you must whip it

before the cream sits out too long

you must whip it

when something's going wrong

you must whip it

now whip it

into shape

shape it up

get straight

go forward

move ahead

try to detect it

it's not too late

to whip it

whip it good

when a good time turns around

you must whip it

you will never live it down

unless you whip it

no one gets away

until they whip it

i say whip it

whip it good

i say whip it

whip it good

crack that whip

give the past the slip

step on a crack

break your momma's back

when a problem comes along

you must whip it

before the cream sits out too long

you must whip it

when something's going wrong

you must whip it

now whip it

into shape

shape it up

get straight

go forward

move ahead

try to detect it

it's not too late

to whip it

into shape

shape it up

get straight

go forward

move ahead

try to detect it

it's not too late

to whip it

whip it good

PS - I received the kit yesterday, unfortunately the slip cover is defective, the stitching has already come unraveled! I've already talked with the firm that filed the existing class-action, their going to file a second suit on Monday for the defective slip covers! I've also settled into a deep depression, I don't know what I'll do, maybe I'll take my own life, the Mississippi River bridge is a short drive away. If you don't here from me again, send your gifts to http://www.freedomofchoice.com/devo/