messed the DVD drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
when i insert a DVD into my DVD drive (15 inch powerbook 1.67 Ghz RW super drive Matsushita R-UJ-845E Revision DMP2) it gives the error message that the inserted disk cant be read.

i believe this is a region problem.

i can read movie DVDs fine with VLC, but not using apple's DVD player.

i think the drive set to a different region.

how do i reset or flash the drive to get it back to its original, which was region 2.

again: the drive is totally usable since i can play DVDs using VLC (which i will use regularly from now on...) and i can even burn DVDs as well.

I only cant read movie DVDs using DVD player.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you insert a DVD from a different region, a window will appear asking you to change the set region. You can only do this a limited number of times before it becomes permanent.

I think you can use a program called regionX to check your DVD status but do not change ANYTHING in the window that appears! Doing so will change the region and ONLY if you have a hacked region free drive can you reset it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    hi,

i appreciate the answer.

however, i do have DVDs from regions 1 and 2, as well as Region Free disks.

no disk can play in the drive. same error message for all disks, no matter what the region is.

any other thoughts?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    i appreciate the answer.

however, i do have DVDs from regions 1 and 2, as well as Region Free disks.

no disk can play in the drive. same error message for all disks, no matter what the region is.

any other thoughts.

regarding Region X. I have it installed and was going to use it, but the first screen says dont go further if you dont have a hacked drive.

it says that info without indicating what the drive is currently set as.

do you mean there is a screen past that screen that i can safely go to and still not activate the Region X app?

thnks
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The first screen is a warning that it is possible to mess up your drive. The second screen asks you to authenticate, and the third screen will tell you the status of your drive. Do not click OK as that may change your drive. Only use cancel or force quit.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    try using disk utility to repair permissions

• Reply 6 of 7
    Region X reports green (good) region 1.

Have repaired disk permissions.

Have deleted DVD cache.

Have deleted DVD player pref file.

Still ALL DVDS inserted into drive fail and report can not be read.

However, as mentioned, drive is physically fine and can be written to as well as play DVDs using VLC.

Anybody else with any thoughts?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    did you try getting a new DVD Player app? it may be corrupted or something.