putting videos on ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is anyone else having problems with putting video on to their iPod Video?? I have read numerous times to use MacTheRipper to rip DVD's onto my HD and the use HandBrake to convert them to MPEG4. Once that time consuming process is done, I will try to load them onto my iPod Video and it won't allow those files??!?!?! the iPod is supposed accept .mov and MPEG4 files, am I wrong? I have tried this system more than once any any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Matt

P.S. Would it be worth my time just to get Quicktime Pro? I have heard it isn't that much better that what I am doing already.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by OD1010

Is anyone else having problems with putting video on to their iPod Video?? I have read numerous times to use MacTheRipper to rip DVD's onto my HD and the use HandBrake to convert them to MPEG4. Once that time consuming process is done, I will try to load them onto my iPod Video and it won't allow those files??!?!?! the iPod is supposed accept .mov and MPEG4 files, am I wrong? I have tried this system more than once any any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Matt

P.S. Would it be worth my time just to get Quicktime Pro? I have heard it isn't that much better that what I am doing already.

are you using the correct bitrate and picture size?

also, you don't need to use MacTheRipper...you can just go straight through Handbrake with a 768 bitrate and the 320x(whatever it is) picture size
  • Reply 2 of 19
    handbrake is god's give to ipod. make sure your using the right h.264 compression and the baseline profile, then 320x240. perfect rips.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I have not used Handbrake for ripping any of my DVDs yet. I did use iSquint last night to convert a couple of video podcast episodes that I have to the 320x480 size. It is a little faster than QT Pro on my dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    well I was trying to copy a movie over to my ipod, but I didn't read this thread fully, I did it at 1000Kbps and the...frontline? whichever the other one is...

so it obviously didn't work, and I"m doing it over, but when I did it the first time It was going at about 28fps, so basically real time, now that i've changed those settings, its only going at 9fps,

should it be the other way around? I feel like I bumped the quality down, so it should be going faster...

so its going to take about 4 and a half hours to convert, is that normal for a 1.33ghz ibook g4?

thanks
  • Reply 5 of 19
    eh...it takes me like 45 minutes for an episode of Thundercats...I'm running a 1ghz TiBook
  • Reply 6 of 19
    ugh, I've ripped a video 3 times useing handbrake and everytime it hasn't worked.. could someone please list the exact settings it has to be on?

it seems like all the videos in my library are m4v, but he handbrake videos are mp4, does that make a difference?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I've been using Mac the Ripper and iSquint to convert my videos. It has worked out pretty well, except I can't seem to make videos bigger than about 1gb convert in iSquint and sometimes videos will have no sound. What I can convert is great though and pretty easy. Episodes of Seinfeld have converted in iSquint in about 2 1/2 hours.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frugle

ugh, I've ripped a video 3 times useing handbrake and everytime it hasn't worked.. could someone please list the exact settings it has to be on?

What picture settings do you use? For the iPod, it has to be 320x240. This post and subsequent comments at Mac OSX Hints might help a little.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...6640&lsrc=osxh
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Following this...I've had no problems:

http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frugle

it seems like all the videos in my library are m4v, but he handbrake videos are mp4, does that make a difference?

make sure you're using the baseline h264 compression in the latest version of handbrake.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    okay heres what I found out. it doesn't matter what settings you put handbrake on.. I found that useing the default settings, and then making it below 480x____ is the fastest.

however you cannot click and drag, or hit import. you have to right click on the .mp4 file, click open with, and then click itunes and it works that way.

hope this helps someone.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I just drag it into my library...works like a charm
  • Reply 13 of 19
    yea... same here. I had not problems dragging the videos created by Handbrake right into my iTunes Library after it was complete.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    now...I don't think you can drop it into the video part...just into your actual library
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I believe you are correct, Slotracer152.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

I believe you are correct, Slotracer152.

in theory, it should work, but whenever I tried it would not. the only way I found it works is if I click open with itunes.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I've been using Videora -

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

Works very well, and converts to MP4 or H.264. Plus it's free.

For ripping from DVD, I use DVD Decrypter.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

I've been using Videora -

Works very well, and converts to MP4 or H.264. Plus it's free.

It is also a Windows tool, not Mac, which is the kind of machine that the original poster has.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Is anyone having problems with no audio when using Mac the Ripper? Some DVDs play perfectly and others have video and no audio at all.