I'm about fed up with it

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Why is it that every single computer we get (no matter how ****ing good it is) ends up being a lemon? I thought that OS X was supposed to rock solid and stable, never freezing or crashing. Well guess what. It just did. Completely locked up the system. Also, I installed the OS X drivers for my printer (an HP DeskJet 935C) and then tried to add/select the printer. Guess what? Everytime I try the Printer manager conveniently quits. So how the hell am I ever going to have a printer to work with this computer? Example B: Upon booting the machine up today, everything had changed. Desktop picture gone....resolution changed...looks like this computer can't remember it's settings, something my problematic G3 would do before. A lot of times I also have to force quit applications as I can't quit them any other way. Also, when trying to change the theme, I simply can't. It gives me some thing about opening it up with an application yet how am I supposed to do that? Half the time I can't even choose one when searching for it. Also some of the themes I've downloaded unzipped and then it takes me to iDVD for some reason....like its a theme for iDVD yet still nothing happens. I'm really tired of this. I don't hear anyone else with G4s and OS X complaning about their system acting up like mine does so far. Also apps like iDVD take a painfully slow time to open as well as other apps. Please tell me WHAT THE BLEEP IS WRONG WITH THIS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    iDVD always takes a while to open.

Sounds like you need to initialize and re-install software.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Wow, that's just great. Now I have to spend 2 hours re-installing software and then on top I have to dnwload all the stuff I had on here before (I have a pinafully slow internet connection) so that's another few hours. When I boot up the machine at first and do everything it should work. It doesn't. Hence I'm a little mad.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    Back up the stuff you downloaded onto DVD to save some time.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    How does your OS 9 installation work? If it's ok, why don't you boot into, backup all the stuff you have so that you don't need to download it again? If the OS 9 install is f'ed up too, I'd just start from scratch. Or maybe it's just you and not your computers

[edit: Did you add 3rd party ram? If so, take it out and see what happens. You've got a dual gigger, right? The time without the extra ram won't kill and it will rule out that possibility as causing your difficulties]

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 20
    It's not me ok.

back up to DVD? Won't that take forever (or a lot longer than CD)??

I should not be having these problems.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    No I don't have extra RAM yet. The config is stock right now. And yes, I do hav ethe dual gigger.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>It's not me ok.

back up to DVD? Won't that take forever (or a lot longer than CD)??

I should not be having these problems.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, chill out we are trying to help. You can sit there and burn 10 CDR's or you could dump everything on a DVD-R and let it burn for a half hour and be done with it.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I am chilled out. I don't appreciate getting the same kind of response like "Oh Macs never go wrong it's probably your fault". That's not help.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    Thanks Bodhi.

Save some CD-Rs, Tiger. Use a DVD.

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Tarbash ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Go get some DVD-RWs...don't waste a DVD-R...
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Hey, if you're having so much trouble with your dual-gigger, I'll happily trade you my dual-half-gigger that works flawlessly nearly all the time. I'm talking uptimes in the weeks, app launches in just a couple of seconds, never a glitch in the Finder as you described, and I'll even throw in the external 6x4x16 SCSI CD-RW. Shoot, I'll even cover the shipping charges!

• Reply 12 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>I am chilled out. I don't appreciate getting the same kind of response like "Oh Macs never go wrong it's probably your fault". That's not help.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Umm, I was just kidding. That's what this was for.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    If you want a reliable computer I have G4 400 mhz AGP with only the original OSX 10.0 on it and I use only classic. I'm still waiting for it to crash and it doesn't even crash on AOL! I just recently purchased it but i goofed and got the wrong rev. I am going to sell it on ebay for $950 with free shipping. Let me know if you're interested........................................ ....
  • Reply 14 of 20
    i just read that some HP drivers can screw up your computer. one guy had his whole computer settings deleted and chaos ensued. it may have been the HP 935, since i was researching it a couple of days ago as a possible purchase.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    stepsonstepson Posts: 95member
    [quote] Sounds like you need to initialize and re-install software. <hr></blockquote>

Its funny .... not to troll (too much), but I always thought one of the reasons macs were better than windows was because "You can be working instead of re-installing windows again ..."
  • Reply 16 of 20
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    What kinds of themes are you talking about? You know interface themes aren't really guaranteed to never cause problems right?

Are you using Duality? Looks like other people have had occasional problems. <a href="http://versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13130&showRatings=&db=mac"; target="_blank">link</a>

If you're using metamorph (a beta program) things are much worse. <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11162&showRatings=&db=mac"; target="_blank">link</a>

Interface hacks are a kludge. Pure and simple. If you want a stable system, don't run them. We have about 600 Macs where I work, and the ones with interface add-ons always have problems, until we remove the add-ons that is (kaleidoscope, duality, metamorph et al).

Don't get me wrong, the stuff is cool and fun to play with. Just don't think it doesn't increase the risk of instability.

You've probably got junk software installed. Could be something else, but probably junk software. That includes the poorly QA'd HP drivers.

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 20
    True I figure it's just maybe from Res Excellence some don't work so I need to try another link. I'm not sure that it's the 3rd party themes causing any problems, although it might. Maybe something I downloaded. Right now I don't have much in the way of stuff or junk software on the computer. What I have downloaded are AIM, Opera, Fire, Blender, Speed Download, Window Shader, Transparent Dock, iSwipe, NeXT Sosumi DSX Titanium themes, ReBirth Demo, uhh.....OpenAG X, UT X Preview....pretty much all the junk I've put on so far (due in part to only having a slow internet connection). How do I revert back to Aqua? I am using the NeXT theme right now. The LAST thing I downloaded was Speed Download and then of course I tried to get the HP stuff installed. The HP DeskJet driver software was given to me on a CD, I didn't download it from my computer. Today I booted up and it lost the settings....I don't understand why it is doing that. I could always run some software to clean it up and check the hard drive, maybe that would help. I just hate having things pop up when everyone else seems to have perfectly working G4s (except for the damn GF4 MX screen flash). I've experienced problems with our last beige G3 so I am counting on this being rock solid.

tonton: As beautiful as ever to me. How did you still remember?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    I run Duality 3 with the opAqua theme, and my iBook is rock solid. Just had a few application crashes, no system crashes, kernel panics or freezes since i installed 10.1.

Tiger, run Norton or a similar program to see if there is something wrong (or boot up in safemode (cmd-s) and run fsck -y).

If there is a "Finder Preferences" file in OSX, try deleting it.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Fobie ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 20
    ccr65ccr65 Posts: 59member
    It is rare that a Mac requires a resatart but if you want a perfectly reliable computer and operating system all the time under all conditions your on the wrong planet. Beam up and find another one or an alternate universe cause it aint happnin here.