PDF in Safari

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After having a discussion about Safari's handling of PDF files there were a few disgruntled voices about the speed of the Acrobat plug-in. I searched for that thread but could not find it so I will post my work around here!

To remove the Adobe plug-in from Safari you can either open Adobe Acrobat or a PDF in Safari. If using Reader go to preferences and if using safari click the little right arrow (top right of the PDF window) and then Preferences. In the dialogue box that opens select Internet and then uncheck "Display PDF in Browser using:" Once this is unchecked and a restart has been applied to Safari you will no longer have a problem with PDFs loading.

Any problems please let me know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Thanks for the post! I see the preference in Acrobat, but I don't get a PDF toolbar in Safari when opening a PDF. (OSX4.3)

I think they killed the ability:

(Help File)

Safari: PDFs now open directly in Safari instead of in Preview

When using the latest version of Safari with Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger," PDF links that you click will now open directly in the Safari window for your viewing convenience. Before Tiger, PDFs would open in Preview. ...

They expect the use to control-click on the link beforehand, or on the displayed PDF, to open in Preview. PITA (hey, that expletive phrase makes a fun acronym!)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Yeah, get rid of the Acrobat plug-in; Safari itself is much faster.

I just wish I could find where Safari keeps the setting for "Auto Size" in the contextual menu when a PDF is displayed. I'd like to default that to Auto Size.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by notaclone

PITA (hey, that expletive phrase makes a fun acronym!)

I started using that acronym at work YEARS ago. It's very useful.

• Reply 4 of 5
    http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

... and you'll no questions left to ask ;-)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

I started using that acronym at work YEARS ago. It's very useful.

what is it?