10.4.3 pre-loaded on new ibooks?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, q for anyone who recently bought an ibook... or for anyone who may know: do the _currently_ shipping ibooks come with 10.4.3 preloaded, or with 10.4.2?

I'm planning on buying a 12" ibook right after Thanksgiving. I want to buy it through Amazon, hoping for some discounts or coupons as they run such occasionally... or at least I'll save on sales tax which is 8.25 here in cali.

Now, Amazon may have more of a backlog of product (ibook) than the Apple store, so perhaps if I order through Amazon, they may still send me an ibook that was manufactured slightly earlier, and preloaded with 10.4.2.

Anyone know how long it takes to clear the Amazon chanell of older product (12" ibooks specifically), so that I can be sure I'm getting an ibook that rolls off the production line with 10.4.3 pre-loaded? If I buy after Thanksgiving, that's 3 weeks after 10.4.3 came out... is that enough time for the new ibooks to come pre-loaded w/ it? Or should I hold off another few weeks before ordering from Amazon to make sure I get the 10.4.3?

It will be my first Apple product, and I don't want to deal with updates right off the bat... that's why I really want the 10.4.3 already on. Sorry for the length and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by FineWine

It will be my first Apple product, and I don't want to deal with updates right off the bat... that's why I really want the 10.4.3 already on. Sorry for the length and thanks in advance.

You shouldn't be worried about having to update your machine right away ... it's easy.

Keep in mind that if you purchased a new Dell laptop you'd likely be in the same position of having to run Windows Update immediately in order to download any of the latest security, .Net, WMP, etc. updates.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I only have dail up so when updates come out i go to my local Apple reseller and they burn them to cd for me. You could probable do the same
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well, I just got a new PB about a week ago from the Apple.com, and it came with 10.4.2. So i'm guessing that any iBooks purchased for a while will still have .2 but when I first started my new computer it automatically updated to .3 while I was still in the startup screen. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by brclark82

Well, I just got a new PB about a week ago from the Apple.com, and it came with 10.4.2. So i'm guessing that any iBooks purchased for a while will still have .2 but when I first started my new computer it automatically updated to .3 while I was still in the startup screen. I wouldn't worry about it.

You're probably right... only thing is, I'm planning on taking a hiking trip to the Guatemalan jungle right after buying the ibook... the idea being that I can dowload my photography and do some basic editing on the ibook... i'll be staying in small villages along the trip, so I may have access to electricity, but prolly no internet.

Anyhow, maybe i'll go to the library or apple store or smth. and try to download an update. Thank you everybody for your feedback!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    i got an ibook a couple weeks ago and it came with 10.4.2 I had to update it took a couple minutes.