New 15" PB screen bad quality?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
There seem to be a number of complaints about the new PB 15" displays. People clearly see darker and lighter horizontal lines.

More info about this issue can be found here: http://15inpbscreen.appleplace.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I just got mine and I dont see a problem with it at all, I love it, its been my new best friend for the past week and a half. I'm officially a MAC user YAY
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I received the first of 3 PB 15" a few minutes ago. Tested it right away using this image: http://crankycat.com/pb15_problems.png

The screen has the issue exactly as discribed. Will call AppleCare first thing tomorrow.

If the other two also have this issue, that would be very bad...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Unfortunately I have to report that the 2 PowerBooks I have been supplied with by Apple both exhibited the 'line' issue. I have also been to look at models on display at John Lewis (An Apple Reseller in the UK) and that machine also had the problem. So far 3 out of 3 duffers for me

I gave up asking for new ones so my PowerBook is currently being repaired and the tech guys assured me it was going to be fixed. They told me it was a problem with the logic board...

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Well, I just got a new 15" PB a week ago. I couldn't notice anything until I clicked one of the links above, and it was still barely noticable. It's not bad enough that I would have even noticed it, had someone else not brought it up. I can kinda see it on my default blue background desktop, but I have to get very close.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Ok, I just noticed it too with that picture. Is it really that bad, as in bad enough to go to the apple store and ask for a new one or get it fixed?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I'm not going to do anything about it. Like I said those two picture are the only place I've ever been able to notice it without being right next to the screen. Maybe if I start noticing it more in the next few weeks I'll do something but right now it's not an issue.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Same here. If it really gets to me that much then ill go take it in. Ive already photoshopped and everything, and i really havent noticed it.l
  • Reply 8 of 16
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I noticed the problem instantly on the display models at the local Apple Store. Worst on the blue Desktop background, but also blindingly (literally) obvious on any web graphic. Alas, this is the only thing keeping me from my long-awaited new PB. But it's a fatal flaw to me: I couldn't look at that screen for five minutes, let alone all day.

I suspect that the problem is universal, but varies in degree; and that different people have different thresholds for it. IMO, if it doesn't bother you, consider yourself lucky to be on the happier end of both distributions. If it does bother you...I guess we wait for the next revision of the 15" and hope they put a different screen in it. What's odd is that neither the 17", the 12", nor any of Apple's standalone LCDs have the problem to anywhere near as noticeable a degree. Put a 17" next to a 15" in the Apple Store and you can see the difference clearly.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    The strange thing to me is I've never read complaints about this particular problem with any other LCD display on a notebook. It makes me think maybe it's some kind of firmware issue that could possibly be fixed but of course I'm nor sure.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by n2o2

I received the first of 3 PB 15" a few minutes ago. Tested it right away using this image: http://crankycat.com/pb15_problems.png

The screen has the issue exactly as discribed.

Called Apple Support, they are going to replace the thing. Good service. I was assured that the replacement will not have this issue. We'll see... ;-)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    The amount of problems Apple has had with their products and powerbooks in particular in recent years is embarrassing.

They definitely have not been living up to their premium.

Sometimes I wonder if they do any QA testing at all.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

The amount of problems Apple has had with their products and powerbooks in particular in recent years is embarrassing.

All are typical problems associated with notebooks made by second tier south asian OEMs. PC made Quanta/ Benq/ Compal/ Clevo have had the same problems over the years...

The lower price pays off at the bottom line in the short term, but doesn't pay off in the long term because quality issues add up over time!

If Apple would switch to first tier Japanese makers (Fujitsu/ Sony/ Panasonic/ Toshiba), most of these problems will disappear. Not as good as far as the bottom line is concerned, but better for the customer.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

All are typical problems associated with notebooks made by second tier south asian OEMs. PC made Quanta/ Benq/ Compal/ Clevo have had the same problems over the years...

The lower price pays off at the bottom line in the short term, but doesn't pay off in the long term because quality issues add up over time!

If Apple would switch to first tier Japanese makers (Fujitsu/ Sony/ Panasonic/ Toshiba), most of these problems will disappear. Not as good as far as the bottom line is concerned, but better for the customer.

That's what I don't understand. The warranty repars cost and recall cost must be huge on powerbooks in recent years. Apple can possibly be happy with this. I'm sure it eats into profit margins considerably
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by L'Angelo Misterioso

That's what I don't understand. The warranty repars cost and recall cost must be huge on powerbooks in recent years. Apple can possibly be happy with this. I'm sure it eats into profit margins considerably

OEM eats most of the hardware repair cost.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ever since i read this post, I notice the lines more. they were/are Hardly noticable, but now its really bothering me. I need it for school though, so maybe some time in the summer i will send it in for repair, It never bothered me, but now that I notice it, it sucks....
  • Reply 16 of 16
    so, should i hold off ordering a PowerBook next week? I won't be able to send it back next semester since it will be my only computer at school. Damn I really want a PowerBook, but if this happens...