Running "linc" (unix app) on OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Here's the problem.

Summary:

I want to run this UNIX app called "linc" in OS X to connect to an internet provider. Anyone know how can I compile and get it running?

Detailed Description:

I connect to an internet ISP using the Cyberoam 24online client (http://24online.elitecore.com/). The setup now is that a Windows machine in the network connects using the Win32 Cyberoam client (with ISP server address the only configuration).

To connect, you'd just have to enter your username/password combo.

But... that Machine is going out to repair (You know Win32 lol)

Now I want my Mac to connect to the provider, even though there isn't any Mac client.

Maybe a UNIX app called linc can serve the purpose (http://linc.sourceforge.net/). It seems like exactly what I need... if knew how to use it.

Thing is, I don't know how to compile and get it running...

Any ideas? Thanks for reading

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    UNIX programs usually follow a pattern. Download the package. Within it will be a README file and an INSTALL file. Read them both. Follow the general directions contained in the INSTALL file. This usually boils down to
    Code:

./configure

make

make install

If you're not used to using Terminal and mucking around in the UNIX command-line environment, now might be a good time to learn. It's not too complicated, you just need to learn some basic lingo.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    When I do a ./configure, I get this.

Code:

creating cache ./config.cache

checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

checking whether build environment is sane... yes

checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no

checking for working aclocal... found

checking for working autoconf... missing

checking for working automake... found

checking for working autoheader... missing

checking for working makeinfo... found

checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp

checking for c++... no

checking for g++... no

checking for gcc... no

checking for CC... no

checking for cxx... no

checking for cc++... no

checking for cl... no

checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot create executables.

I think I'd installed GCC 3 from Developer Tools, but I'm not sure. Do I need to install something for this to work?

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 8
    If you've installed Developer Tools (it isn't installed on new Macs by default) you should have gcc. To check, do "whereis gcc" and it should display /usr/bin/gcc. If it doesn't, try re-installing DevTools from the CD.

Also, you'll probably need to run make and make install with sudo. The install scripts usually put stuff in /usr, which requires root permission. Just prepend each command with "sudo", and enter your password when prompted. Running configure with sudo won't hurt, but shouldn't be necessary.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    It works! Thank you!

I installed Developer Tools again (with other SDKs as well) and ran the procedure.

For some reason, sudo didn't like my password (must've been the keyboard), so I changed ownership of the /usr/bin directory for some time and changed it back later.

My first time compiling and successfully running a Unix app! -And creating a configuration file! (Big deal for me lol)

Maybe there's a way to make a frontend to this... I'm using an alias in the desktop, which is doing the job, but demands I visit the Terminal to suspend or resume the connection.

Again, thank you! I'll contact the developers of linc and tell them it works in OS X 10.4 (.3)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Glad it worked!
    Quote:

For some reason, sudo didn't like my password (must've been the keyboard), so I changed ownership of the /usr/bin directory for some time and changed it back later.

That's...odd. I didn't think you could change ownership of /usr/bin unless you're root (or using sudo).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Changing permissions I did from Finder. Since I'm an admin user, it lets me change ownership of almost anything from the Get Info window.

Oh, and I meant to write usr/local/bin

New to UNIX, you see
  • Reply 7 of 8
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

If you've installed Developer Tools (it isn't installed on new Macs by default) you should have gcc. To check, do "whereis gcc" and it should display /usr/bin/gcc. If it doesn't, try re-installing DevTools from the CD.

Also, you'll probably need to run make and make install with sudo. The install scripts usually put stuff in /usr, which requires root permission. Just prepend each command with "sudo", and enter your password when prompted. Running configure with sudo won't hurt, but shouldn't be necessary.

You usually don't need 'sudo' to run 'make.' Make just compiles the binary. 'make install' moves all of the binaries, etc that 'make' created into the appropriate directories. You really only need 'sudo' for 'make install', and then only when you are instaling files to admin-protected dirs.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Ah, thanks for the clarification