iTunes 6 Sucks (if you have a 3G iPod)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Wanted to give all 3G iPod users a heads up: here is my blog entry

http://jadedmac.blogspot.com

Well I decided to update my iTunes. I haven't synced my iPod for a bit because I hadn't added any new songs. Today I purchased a few songs, imported a couple of CDs and decided to connect my iPod. Well my recent purchased apparently are too new for my 3G iPod. when I attempted to sync the iTunes told me "your ipod software is too old for some of your songs, please update at the Apple website." So I updated my iPod software and so on. Too bad it didn't do anything and I got the same message.

So that means I won't be buying any more tracks from iTunes since I can't even sync them too my iPod. Isn't that the point?

I'll be shopping at some other download sites with Mp3s...since my iPod is no longer supported by the iTunes store. And people wonder why legal downloads are not that popular.

If Apple won't support my ipod, I won't support their store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    I have a 3G iPod and am currently using iTunes 6. Have not experienced any of the issues you are 'blogging'.

Who is right? Who is wrong?

ps I was going to write something being a complete kunt. I don't think your title truly reflects the issue. It seems to me your issue is with the Music Store.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    i have a 3G and buy from itues too....no problem whatsoever so far....i enven still sysc it with the firewire cable....
  • Reply 3 of 42
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It seems to me you need to try updating your iPod again.

You're lucky Apple still supports it.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    My 3G iPod and iTunes 6 get along just fine as well.

but "lucky they still support it?" Come off it. I got my iPod less than 2.5 years ago. It was a $400 retail (although I paid less) at the time. I'm pretty sure they need to keep supporting it.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Here's another 3G iPod with no issues. Hope you get yours resolved.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

My 3G iPod and iTunes 6 get along just fine as well.

but "lucky they still support it?" Come off it. I got my iPod less than 2.5 years ago. It was a $400 retail (although I paid less) at the time. I'm pretty sure they need to keep supporting it.

There should be full support...There is no real reason to buy a new video pod (or an old photo pod). So the support for these should last until iPods are discontinued since the changes are so minor.

And in case you haven't noticed without the remote control connector, the new iPods are useless for car using people like me. I still have capacity, no need to trade up my ipod (Although I will admit to having a shuffle and nano).
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It seems to me you need to try updating your iPod again.

You're lucky Apple still supports it.

what a stupid post
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Arguably, there are companies out there that would say, "Sorry, if you want to buy the latest music and use the latest iTunes you'll HAVE to buy a newer iPod." It's good that Apple doesn't do that...yet.

In fact, Apple's been VERY good about supporting older systems. But the day will come when the iPod just won't update any more. Of course, your battery will probably cease to work before then.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

Arguably, there are companies out there that would say, "Sorry, if you want to buy the latest music and use the latest iTunes you'll HAVE to buy a newer iPod." It's good that Apple doesn't do that...yet.

In fact, Apple's been VERY good about supporting older systems. But the day will come when the iPod just won't update any more. Of course, your battery will probably cease to work before then.

Unfortunately you are missing the point that Apple sells the iPod as having an upgradable firmware that can adapt to the latest codecs. You are also missing the fact that music from the iTMS by its nature has to be a consistent compatible format with all iPods in order to be a success and to be its own standard.

There is nothing lucky about Apple still supporting the gentlemen's iPod. It is the way it should be and needs to be.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:

In fact, Apple's been VERY good about supporting older systems.

• Reply 11 of 42
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

Wanted to give all 3G iPod users a heads up: here is my blog entry

http://jadedmac.blogspot.com

<snip>

Try doing a total reset, wipe the ipod's disc and reinstall the firmware (I think the ipod updater has an option for this). Of course, make sure you have all your music backed up beforehand. Hope this works.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Mac OS X Tiger Requirements:

Quote:

* Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor

* Built-in FireWire

* DVD drive for installation

* 256MB of RAM

* 3GB of available hard disk space (4GB if you install the developer tools)

iPhoto 5.0.4 Requirements:

Quote:

? OS X 10.3.4 (OS X 10.3.6 or later Recommended for Panther)

? or Mac OS X 10.4 or later (for Tiger)

Quicktime 7 Requirements:

Quote:

* 400 MHz Power PC G3 or faster Macintosh computer

* At least 128MB of RAM

* Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later

In other words, you could have a pretty wimpy system (by today's standards) and still have a decent computer. Granted, you'd need something more hefty for pro apps, but for the home user, they've got it made for a while when they buy a new machine. I don't see that happening nearly as much on the Windows side.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut I don't see that happening nearly as much on the Windows side. [/B]

You think?

Quote:

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

?\t

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

?\t

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

?\t

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

?\t

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

?\t

CD-ROM or DVD drive

?\t

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

• Reply 14 of 42
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I got the same message when I first went to iTunes 6, and I continued to get an error message even after I updated my iPod. Then I realized that the update to iTunes 6 logged me out of my account, and I just needed to sign in again before my iTunes-purchased music would be transferred to my iPod. After updating and logging in again, everything was fine.

I don't know if that will work for you, but Apple has definitely not decided to cut off older iPods.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

You think?

On paper, yes, MS supports old hardware. The difference is that Apple's software can actually run decently on older Macs.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

On paper, yes, MS supports old hardware. The difference is that Apple's software can actually run decently on older Macs.

who's the judge of that?
  • Reply 17 of 42
    I have a 3g ipod and iTunes 6, no problems for me.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    3G 15gb iPod and no problems what so ever with iTunes 6. its a pleasure to use such awesome hardware and software. sounds like it PEBKAC.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

3G 15gb iPod and no problems what so ever with iTunes 6. its a pleasure to use such awesome hardware and software. sounds like it PEBKAC.

I just find it kind of amusing that because it didn't work for him once, he immediately went to his blog and posted his deep thoughts about Apple and the state of technology. I guess that's what having a blog does to some people.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My mini works fine with iTunes 6 and all other versions of iTunes I've used, although after the 6.0 upgrade I had to re-authorize my machine for use with iTunes Music Store tracks.