Here comes the affordable biz VOIP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
www.linksysone.com

Linksys One Product Suite:

Linksys One includes a range of new products specifically developed for the small business customer. The same level of integration and smart simplicity applies to every Linksys One product.

Linksys One 16-Port Services Router (SRV3000): The cornerstone of the Linksys One Services Platform and vision is the Services Router. This integrated switch and router provides for plug and play installation and includes advanced features that allow a small business to protect its network and improve productivity.

Linksys One Color Manager IP Phone (PHM12000): This SIP-based Color IP Telephone offers both the cost-saving advantages of Voice over IP (VoIP) and the voice quality and features of a small business key phone system.

Linksys One Analog VoIP Gateway (VGA2000): The Linksys One Voice Gateway increases the flexibility of the system, allowing businesses to integrate their existing analog phones and fax machines. Access to PSTN networks is enabled locally and also provides a failover system in case of service outages or emergency 911 calls.

Linksys One is a true "Services Platform" capable of enabling growth with new technologies and applications because all Linksys One products are plug and play. They determine the optimal configuration and are functional the minute they're connected, eliminating the need for skilled IT professionals on staff or on-site. Linksys One's unique network discovery process and automated configuration provide new networks, additions to the system, and new technologies with only limited-touch deployment.

Availability and Pricing

Scheduled for beginning in December 2005, the SRV3000 Linksys One Services Router, PHM1200 Color Manager IP Phone and VGA2000 Analog Voice Gateway will be available to Linksys One Authorized Resellers in the United States. Reseller participation in the Linksys Partner Connection Program is required. More information on reseller requirements can be found at www.linksysone.com. Hosted Service Providers including MCI, airBand, NeoNova, and IP Systems plan to be offering the line of Linksys One solutions in 2006.

Estimated street prices of the SVR3000, PHM1200, and VGA2000, in USD, are $1,195, $299 and $279 respectively.

I'll have to see more about what services are provided but for those looking at a nice turnkey VOIP solution it'll be interesting to look at what this solution has to offer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    It looks like an interesting system, but I would be concerned about lock-in.

I noticed that D-Link announced a VoIP PBX recently also.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

It looks like an interesting system, but I would be concerned about lock-in.

I noticed that D-Link announced a VoIP PBX recently also.

Yup. The IP phone only works with the SRV3000 router and despite the ease of use Linksys is talking up installation by approved resellers of which the first is MCI.

I think rolling your own is still going to be the most flexible solution. I'm just getting my feet wet on VOIP but I'm sure there are going to be plenty of options and more choices coming from D-Link as well.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    D-Link's entry

http://www.dlink.com/products/ip-telephony/

D-Link's products don't seem to have the lockin of the Linksys product but i've since learned that the Linksys product contains autoconfiguration to the point where you could move your office...set everything back up and download your config files and everything is supposed to work automagically.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Ouch - bit pricey still. I think I'll stick with my Vigor 2600 Voip router and my phoneskype.com USB phone which is the only USB phone I've found that is Mac compatible - it just appears as a USB keyboard and USB audio device to the Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    The more I think about it the more I'd love to see Apple get into a portion of the VOIP market. I would envision something like this.

Apple aquires a smaller Networking company like Asante or something. Pennies.

Apple revamps some open source tools like Hula for Groupware/Email and Asterisk.org IP PBX. Integrate the two enough so that Email handles VOIP data cleverly.

Build a Softphone whereby a Bluetooth enabled Mac can make a call right from within email.

The Linksys has ease of setup but it's far too dependent on lockin for the ease of configuration features. I like the Avaya products. IP Office is nice and the hardware isn't bad but it's falling out of date.

Hardware wise we need.

24-48 port Layer2/3 Switches with POE

VPN/Firewall built in

WAN NIC x2 with Load Balance/Failover

SIP for compatibility with plenty of IP Phones

Analog Gateway

Apple could tie together quite a powerful system by integrating many of their core technologies into a fully comprehensive system. They could offer turnkey systems built upon Xserve.

Security is an issue as well so adding in the appropriate security hooks would be vital. The Mac platform offers a small testbed to get this product ready quickly.

Apple simply has not done a very good job and attacking any of the vital biz markets. SMB to Enterprise they are lacking in far too many areas.

Will we see Apple embrace these markets in 2006 or will we fall behind even further in the race to tie together these new technologies and improve efficiency for businesses?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Build a Softphone whereby a Bluetooth enabled Mac can make a call right from within email.

It amazes me that they've not built iChat into a soft phone. It's almost there with an almost implementation of SIP/STUN (watch the packets go past and they're almost identical to a softphone) with it's voice and video capabilities. Team up with Google to implement wider Jabber support and it's the perfect client.

But yes, some kind of Asterisk/Hula thing which has the features but none of the complexity would be cool.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It amazes me that they've not built iChat into a soft phone. It's almost there with an almost implementation of SIP/STUN (watch the packets go past and they're almost identical to a softphone) with it's voice and video capabilities. Team up with Google to implement wider Jabber support and it's the perfect client.

But yes, some kind of Asterisk/Hula thing which has the features but none of the complexity would be cool.

iChat! Thunk (slapping me own forehead) how could I miss that! Apple could offer a full fledged Softphone and add the core functionality to iChat very easily.

Rumblings are the whole VOIP industry is waiting for Microsoft's party crashing. We all know they will eventually hop into this market and I expect a future version of Exchange and Office to support VOIP.

Without a good Groupware app Apple loses credibility

I agree with Welch here. Yes there are groupware apps for Mac but they simply do not offer Exchange level features. It's time for Apple to show us a bit more of what can be done by embracing Open Source. Help Asterisk become full featured and stable. Look at Hula or other Open Source Groupware apps. Integrate today's technology into the communication app to rule them all.

Email, Voice & Data, IM are all technologies that should just congeal into this magical app that is the swiss army of communications. Hell Apple could even create a .Mac Pro which has hosted VOIP and webhosting amongst other features.

I keep hearing companies yammer on about services but I'm sitting here with easily identifiable communication needs and said companies have nothing to offer. Who's going to take the lead here?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Great thread, hmurchison,

Good nose for useful things. I will follow this thread.