wide format printer advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a wide format printer for around 500 dollars or less. I will be running off prints of my ad campaigns, and posters designs for a portfolio class. I don't know much about printers so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Epson R1800
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I was just looking at that printer, seems really nice. Good to hear it recommended.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by alty127

I was just looking at that printer, seems really nice. Good to hear it recommended.

Excellent print quality, good speed, pigment based inks and a Continuous Ink System for the bold ones.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    does anyone have any thoughts on the Canon i9900 printer compared to the Epson R1800?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by alty127

does anyone have any thoughts on the Canon i9900 printer compared to the Epson R1800?

The problems with Canon's isn't the quality. They look phenomenal. The issues i've heard surround print permanence.

Might want to check out

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

for any Canon info. Sure PP rears its head later usually but you want to make sure your printers are durable if posted up on the wall in daylight.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I was really looking at getting the Epson r1800 but decided to read one more review and came across this review at Macworld. The reviewers say that if you are printing form adobe illustrator you can forget it unless you create pdfs. If this is the case, this printer is not the printer for me. Can anyone who owns this printer confirm print quality or troubles printing from Illustrator CS?

If the Epson r1800 is out, what other large format printer would be the next best thing?