Installing Memory On New Powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

I just bought 1 GB of Ram from Crucial for my new powerbook and installed it just as in the instructions and... the computer had trouble starting up about 3/4 times (the first time this has ever happened) and when it finally did start up it doesn't recognize the new memory.

Do you think the memory is bad? And if so is this a common occurence when buying new memory?

Or is there something I should know about installing the new memory that isn't covered in the instructions outlined in the Powerbook User's Guide.

I did it once more to see if I did something wrong or if the memory wasn't in far enough and the same thing happened. I turned the PB on and it had trouble starting up and then when it finally did start up correctly it shows that I only have 512 MB of Ram.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Can you swap them to see if it is the DIMM or the memory slot that is bad?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I also got the new powerbook and a 1 GB dimm from crucial. I had a similar problem, It turned out that I wasn't actually getting the memory locked into the slot so it wouldn't read it. I found that I had to put a lot of pressure (more than I would like) before the ram would pop into place. I would give crucial a call if you are still having trouble they were very helpful with me.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    While we're on the subject, the 12-inch PB requires SO-DIMM PC2700, 333 DDR RAM. Would SO-DIMM PC3200, 400 DDR RAM work?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChappySinclair

Hello everyone,

I just bought 1 GB of Ram from Crucial for my new powerbook and installed it just as in the instructions and... the computer had trouble starting up about 3/4 times (the first time this has ever happened) and when it finally did start up it doesn't recognize the new memory.

Do you think the memory is bad? And if so is this a common occurence when buying new memory?

Or is there something I should know about installing the new memory that isn't covered in the instructions outlined in the Powerbook User's Guide.

I did it once more to see if I did something wrong or if the memory wasn't in far enough and the same thing happened. I turned the PB on and it had trouble starting up and then when it finally did start up correctly it shows that I only have 512 MB of Ram.

Thanks for your help!

I mean putting the wrong kind in or installing them wrong wont harm the PC, it just wont start or boot correctly. i just T9'ed my tech expert at work, i post when he replies