Even smaller iPod shuffle may debut in January

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A second-generation iPod shuffle digital music player from Apple Computer will be noticeably smaller than the existing model and could see an introduction as early as January, says one Wall Street analyst.

"We are hearing of an even smaller form factor (smaller than a pack of gum) and the potential for the re-introduction of multiple colors," said American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu in a research note obtained by AppleInsider.

Wu believes the new shuffle could come as early as January and said Apple's preparation for the product refresh was likely behind its recent move to add Hynix as a third supplier of NAND flash memory chips.

In order to minimize overlap with the iPod nano, the analyst believes storage capacities and price points will remain similar to Apple's current iPod shuffle offerings at $99 for the 512MB model and $129 for the 1GB.

"We believe [a January introduction] could help offset seasonal weakness in the March quarter similar to last year when the iPod shuffle was introduced," Wu added.

Meanwhile, the analyst acknowledged there may be a minor radio frequency interference problem with Apple's latest iPods where the players will go "crazy" when placed very close to a ringing GSM cell phone.

However, Wu believes concerns over the issue may be overblown:

"From our checks, it appears to impact GSM and not CDMA phones and only on nanos and video Pods," Wu said. "When a ringing GSM phone is directly in front of the clickwheel, the iPod could go 'crazy' and its volume could fluctuate uncontrollably (reminds us of R2D2 when shot by a laser gun)."

The analyst said the issue is likely to be rectified by Apple easily applying better or more foil tape inside the iPod, similar to what is done with cell phones and other devices in shielding interference.

"We do not believe this is a big deal and believe the worst case is Apple takes a minor write-down like it did with its iPod battery issue," Wu added.

American Technology Research continues to rate Apple a 'Buy' with a price target of $66.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

"We do not believe this is a big deal and believe the worst case is Apple takes a minor write-down like it did with its iPod battery issue," Wu added.

Minor write-down? That's analyst speak for "voluntary replacement plan" after a couple of class-action suits are filed.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

(reminds us of R2D2 when shot by a laser gun).

As long as it doesn´t behave like Bishop in Alien, when he is shot by a regular gun.

So electro-magnetic fields are more like laser beams than force-by-projectile when applied to computer controlled machines with interfaces? Hmm. Looks like a job for

• Reply 3 of 28
    How about people with big hands? I'm 6'2" and the nano already feels like a kids toy. Even smaller?

Looks like somebody hasn't been testing the ergonomics of a big segment of the market.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

How about people with big hands? I'm 6'2" and the nano already feels like a kids toy. Even smaller?

Looks like somebody hasn't been testing the ergonomics of a big segment of the market.

they are for kids.

you need a MAN-SIZED ipod-vid.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

they are for kids.

you need a MAN-SIZED ipod-vid.

Or a Zen.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I held a nano just yesterday for the first time, and it kind of looked ugly. I think the ipod has lost its charm .
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Glamingo

I held a nano just yesterday for the first time, and it kind of looked ugly. I think the ipod has lost its charm .

I know you just playin
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

I think the ipod has lost its charm .

You are unique.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Am not playing

Its still good
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Am not playing

Its still good

We still love you. Albeit a little less.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It's just that you've lost some of your charm.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Sorry, I shouldnt of said it had lost all its charm.

Its just lost a bit to me
  • Reply 13 of 28
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think the nano and 5G iPod both have lost a little charm in losing the remote connector. The nano gets a few extra points taken off for the headphone jack being on the bottom.

But they're still REALLY cool.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    i think losing firewire was the biggest kick in the ass, more than anything else mentioned, but that's just my opinion...
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I think an ipod shuffle should be about half the size of my thumb, with the thickness of the nano. How else are they going to market it? Its already thicker than the nano!

• Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Or a Zen.

It's these failed attempts at sarcasm that keep me coming to this place.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

It's these failed attempts at sarcasm that keep me coming to this place.

I try.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't see a BIG need to keep your phone right in front of the iPod clickwheel WHILE both devices are in use
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

I try.

^ And you succeed.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    As much as people would like to blame the Ipod for the GSM issue, it is more of a GSM phone problem. I know that some GSM phones interfer with other electronic equipment when they ring. I have seen them cause problems with office conference phones if the GSM phone is places on the table too close to the conference phone.

I think people need to be careful when assigning blame, in this case just becuase the ipod freaks out does not mean it the ipods problems. I am inclined to say it's a GSM phone problems since they tend to interfer with other equipment as well.