cannot do anything for 5 minutes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When i try and download a 1kb php file from my email my computer opens dreamweaver and the computer sits with the wirly thing spinning for 5 minutes. cannot do anything-force quit nothing. how do i make all code files - html, php, css, js open with textedit and not these other programs(i tried always open file w/ textedit but it is only that file)? i cant stand sitting here doing nothing at a time when i need to be productive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Select any file of that filetype in the Finder, and select File->Get Info from the menu bar.

Under the 'Open with:' disclosure triangle, select the app that you want to open the files with, and then click the Change All... button. Now *ALL* files of that kind will open with the app you selected.

More useful may be to figure out why it's choking, but this should get you working again.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    i think its mostly a java based chat room. im running it in one window with FF and i cannot do anything else with the computer. this mac does things great besides internet browsing-cant browse through profiles in myspace w/o it choking either...edit thank you what you said was very helpful. you can also access get info by right clicking
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yes, Get Info is also accessible via right click, you can also option-right-click and have Open With convert to Always Open With.

Not sure what the problem would be with Firefox (I'm assuming that's what FF stands for) with myspace profiles. Have you tried another browser?

Also, Java is a memory hog. How much RAM do you have?

I have to say, I don't often find sites (never?) that cause that level of disruption.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I have 1gb ram on a mini 1.42ghz. Browsed in firefox (FF) and Safari also IE (god help me). With myspace profiles it must be the embeded video...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Oh yeah, if they're using some wacked out format, that would trigger QuickTime to go looking for the codec every time it hit one.