Resume Creation Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can someone recommend a mac-centric resume creation program. I know I can create resumes using MS Word, Pages and other applications, but like the structure of the Windows based programs. Any sugguestions?

Thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

Can someone recommend a mac-centric resume creation program. I know I can create resumes using MS Word, Pages and other applications, but like the structure of the Windows based programs. Any sugguestions?

Thanx

Use a standard word processor and a very simple format. If you use M$ Word, avoid the resume templates like the plague. They are too heavily formatted--and some cases, unprofessionally so. It is standard practice for employers to scan and catalog paper resumes. Fancy formatting screws that all to heck.

And another thing, you may want to electronically submit your resume to a prospective employer. You want him to be able to open the file. You can't be assured that he can if you use special software. Get a book or find a website that shows what a quality resume should look like.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    how about using LaTeX? =D
  • Reply 3 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

you may want to electronically submit your resume to a prospective employer. You want him to be able to open the file.

Which is why whenever you update your resume, you should also save it as a PDF, in many cases that is what is used for document storage systems and two other reasons:

1: it is a universal standard, unlike MS office -- that is if you are in Office 2004, someone in Office 2000 may not be able to read it, or may see it differantly, or it may print oddly whereas a PDF reader from 1995 can still read basicly any standard PDF and print EXACTLY what you intend, that is the whole idea of postscript.

2: Printing is much easier: just fire off a PDF to the local copy/print shop if you need, say 100 or so for a tradeshow for example.

edit

ALSO, viruses and .doc files sometimes go hand in hand, some systems may flag your word doc as a virus if you use macros or something advanced like that, so PdF saves you there too.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Mr. Me sorta touched on this. Don't make a cookie cutter resume unless your applying for a corporate drone job. You and 300 other applicants are using the same apps.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Apple's Pages has some fantastic resumé templates, try them out.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If you went to college, Call the school you graduated from, the dept of alum. affairs can usually help with resume development. Failing that, go to your local college and ask about a resume how-to manual, I have a 50+ page book from alum affairs (although I am acctually still a student) on making resumes and other formal first contacts and it is packed with good info.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    What kind of job are you applying for? Something creative or some corporate job?

I usually make two different kinds of resumes? One in MS Word format and another in Indesign that I convert to PDF.

I play around with the formating in Word and add graphics. But it is usually nothing special. The PDF version using Indesign I can get really fancy with. Most companies accept resumes in PDF format.

I've gotten some very nice comments about my resumes built in Indesign because it allows me to create something that reflects my talents and interests.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. Creating a resume in Indesign makes it a bit difficult to update. But you probably won't be updating your resume every year or anything. Well, I hope not